Author Topic: Picture Post  (Read 140718 times)

Offline DC

Re: Picture Post
« Reply #1140 on: June 30, 2014, 05:55:08 PM »
A 'Catty' picture...

Feed me now...

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - open throttle in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : "Woo Hoo, what
a ride!"

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #1141 on: June 30, 2014, 06:07:47 PM »
Clearly a 'devil cat' ;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline bri h

« Reply #1142 on: June 30, 2014, 06:10:35 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline ari

« Reply #1143 on: July 03, 2014, 01:37:12 AM »
Nelson Creek, New Zealand

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #1144 on: July 21, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »
Kill the stick.  A dog in the local park, playing with a damp stick he'd just pulled from the river.  He was playing with it so energetically the stick seemed to take on a life if its own.

Left click to enlarge.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:43:31 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #1145 on: July 21, 2014, 08:08:59 PM »
Here a picture of the Miller's Garden, at the City Mill in Winchester.  There was a mill here over a thousand years ago.  The watermill is still working, and the garden is out the back, a stone wedge smoothly dividing the gliding waters of the River Itchen.  One side feeds the water wheel, the other is a run-off channel.  In Summer it is a riot of flowers.  In earlier times it would have been predominantly vegetables to help feed the miller and his brood.

To either side you can see aspects of modern Winchester hemming it in, held at bay only by the water.

It's a very restful place to be, and when the mill is running there's a constant slight throb to be felt through the stone beneath your feet.

During the floods earlier this year it was probably underwater, although I didn't get a chance to see it then.

Left click to enlarge.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #1146 on: July 21, 2014, 08:16:33 PM »
Despite my aversion to being underground I was tempted to take the crypt tour at Winchester Cathedral.  Amongst the artefacts down there is this odd lump of wood.  It was part of an art display in the grounds at one point, but when the exhibition was over nobody wanted to claim it.  Eventually the cathedral grounds staff got fed up with it spoiling their lawn, so carried it off into the crypt for safekeeping, and it's been there ever since.

It has a strange texture, and in that setting it seems like the forgotten backbone of some mysterious creature.  As the crypt floods annually the soaking and drying probably adds to this appearance.

It follows the curve of the path as if it's supposed to be there.

Left click to enlarge.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:18:35 PM by Gyppo »

Offline AlexRS

« Reply #1147 on: July 22, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »
A nice shot I took riding my bike recently. The scenery surrounding it is about the only thing I really like about the town I live in.

Offline bri h

« Reply #1148 on: July 22, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »
Which is where Alex? It looks lovely.

Gyp. Those are great pics. The wooden thingy-one looks like a prop from Harry Potter, something the snake monster-skin-thingy may have shucked off. ha ha. B

Offline AlexRS

« Reply #1149 on: July 22, 2014, 03:16:06 PM »
Northern Derbyshire, not far out of Chesterfield. This particular photo was taken in a small village, Holymoorside. We're not far out from the peak district so we've got some lovely parks and farmlands pretty close by. Tis a good place to live and own a bike when the weather's nice.

Offline bri h

« Reply #1150 on: July 22, 2014, 03:26:19 PM »
Ha ha. Part of my patch. I drive in this area regularly. On the Buxton rd A619-A623 or summink like that? I made the mistake once of trying to dodge the 'whacky-races-time' (rush hour) and detoured through Holymoorside to get back to Huthwaite. Not good. ha ha. Did you hear bout the bad accident on the A38/j28 this morning? Very bad. Bri.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #1151 on: July 22, 2014, 05:21:21 PM »
Gyp. Those are great pics. The wooden thingy-one looks like a prop from Harry Potter, something the snake monster-skin-thingy may have shucked off. ha ha. B

I thought you'd like the wooden 'thing'.

It definitely has a 'creepy' feel to it, even when you know it's only a bit of wood..  I stopped to take the picture and the rest of the tour group moved on.   Only just a few seconds but suddenly I was alone, underground, with that strange thing.  The voices of the others seemed to come from several directions due to the funny underground acoustics and the multiplicity of tunnels.  If it wasn't for the light coming in through some ground level windows it could have been really panic inducing.

Yet despite all this there is a small part of me which wants to go back there some day when the crypt is flooded, usually in the Winter and generally never more than waist deep, and take some pictures showing the water, light, and shadows.

===

The dog with the curved stick really needed video to do it justice.  For about thirty seconds it went absolutely berserk, then it dropped it and did that arse in the air front legs stretched out pose, staring at it, defying it to come back to life.  When the stick failed to oblige the dog gave it a final warning growl then just slouched back to its mistress and waited patiently at heel.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:22:57 PM by Gyppo »

Offline bri h

« Reply #1152 on: July 22, 2014, 05:26:39 PM »
What you're describing reminds me of that vid on FB of the dog gnawing on a bone. But it's having such a good time, it kicks its legs a bit and thinks the leg belongs to another dog, trying to steal its bone. So it sets about it. Growling, gnashing its teeth at it. It's really funny (for FB that is) B

Offline AlexRS

« Reply #1153 on: July 22, 2014, 05:53:34 PM »
Hadn't heard about the crash but did a bit of google-ing. Sounds nasty.

I've got a sort of mental image of what you're talking about with the dog Gyp. It is a fun mental image  :D

Had a bit of a look through my hard drive and I've got another picture to show, this time with an actual story! Me and my father both dive quite often and went on a load of dives together in the canaries earlier this year. We've been going to the island for quite some time and one of the things we really wanted to see while diving but didn't was a good sized ray. (For context, there are several massive manta and sting rays living near the island which we've seen off in the distance, but never really got a good look at or photo of.)

So anyway, we did a lot of great dives but never saw the rays we were looking for. On the last day we're not diving since we fly later, but decided to go for a snorkel. I took my camera since diving down and taking pictures while you're holding your breath can be a fun challenge and what do we run into but that beauty of a sting ray down in that photo. It's hard to tell from the photo but that thing is absolutely massive; probably between 5-6 foot wingspan from what I could tell when my father swam down close to it.

I've got more underwater pictures if there's any interest, most from actual diving. A lot actually, would probably be easier to make an imgur album rather than post em individually.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #1154 on: July 22, 2014, 05:57:53 PM »
Whilst I have the cathedral archive to hand...

I am somewhat fascinated by the ribs which make up a church or cathedral roof.  In many cases they remind me of the rib cage of a gutted fish, hanging from the exposed spine.

Left click to enlarge.