Author Topic: Novel idea from the news  (Read 1151 times)

Offline geoffnelder

• Geoff's website
Novel idea from the news
« on: March 15, 2013, 04:37:07 AM »
There you go. Workmen unearth Black Death bodies in London. Do they treat them with respect or cover them with concrete? No. Let's wave the bones around and let the 14th century bugs start a zombie apocalypse! Yeay. Let's see how fast it diffuses from London. Um, how fast can I write a novel...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21784141
(not sure if non-UK viewers can see BBC website but have a go)

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
Re: Novel idea from the news
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:30:34 AM »
They'd have to be some Multi Resistant Medieval bugs to beat the secret weapon antibiotics hospitals keep as last resorts.

Now, if the Black Death bugs mutated with multi-resistant modern ones, then you would have a modern plague. Yikes!
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline bri h

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 06:46:11 AM »
Mornin Geoff, I just looked at the article on me news feed before I came here. They're uncovering em and they want to know what killed em? Well, I'm no archeologist, but I'd hazard a guess? Was it something to do with the Black Death or the plague?  ;D bri
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 12:30:25 PM »
Scary stuff. Just the inspiration I need.  :D
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 01:21:11 PM »
There you go. Workmen unearth Black Death bodies in London. Do they treat them with respect or cover them with concrete? No. Let's wave the bones around and let the 14th century bugs start a zombie apocalypse! Yeay. Let's see how fast it diffuses from London. Um, how fast can I write a novel...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21784141
(not sure if non-UK viewers can see BBC website but have a go)

Erm . . . the 750 word short story I wrote for the Olymp-inks was based on this. ::) The Blackheath Hill Hole

Offline 2par

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
since the plague is still with us, but well in check, a book on this would probably be really welcomed.  but please...no zombies or vampires or mutant humans or animals...please?  those things scare me. 

Offline geoffnelder

• Geoff's website
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 01:29:02 PM »
Congrats, 510bhan on the pre-emptive strike on the story idea.
2par, zombie's scare me too - even in the hilarious Shaun of the Dead with Simon Pegg. However, zombie anthologies are in vogue and few fantasy readers want sweet unscary stories.

Offline 2par

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 01:35:15 PM »
but...but...but...you don't need those squishy things to make it scary..  suspense is good.  mystery is good.