Author Topic: new screenwriter getting shafted  (Read 1125 times)

jwatson300011

new screenwriter getting shafted
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:09:36 PM »
This is to whom ever can provide me with some insight into the business of film writing.

A film I wrote is now in production by an independent production company. I have not even signed a deal with the director and producer who I contacted through facebook. He is keeping me abreast of the entire development, gave me film credit as the head writer of the script, credit on IMDB.

Now to his credit he did offer me a producer's slot and I said no. Filmmakers I talk to said that was a bad move. A filmmaker said that I should have gotten an associate producer's credit if I put up any money at all. I helped with catering cost which was $800.00. I didn't even ask for a receipt. Everything I am doing is in good faith. I have not even signed a contract. Someone, another filmmaker told me that I should know everything that is going on, especially where he is filming. He posts the activity on his Facebook page with all cast members. But the bottom line is what should I do at this point, sense I have been acting in good faith up to this time, should I talk about money before everything is done, before the film is cut. Like I said, it is in production now and he only wants me to come to the shoot at certain times. He said that he doesn't want someone who isn't working to be there. He thinks, I guess based on our previous conversations that I will be horning in or getting in the way or something. I don't even have the address to where it is being filmed. Should I be concerned that I might get shafted.

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
Re: new screenwriter getting shafted
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 02:29:14 AM »
Oh dear. On first glance it doesn't look to be honest.

Have you ever met this man in real life? It seems odd that you gave him money and your script without a legally binding contract.

You could maybe try citizens advice, but not sure how they could actually help.
Time to take it serious and get the job done