Author Topic: Sooo Religion...... who do you follow? Do you follow? Your Views here.  (Read 23224 times)

Offline oliver

• Abandoned children often live with their parents
Re: Sooo Religion...... who do you follow? Do you follow? Your Views here.
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2006, 07:53:11 AM »
I often ask myself this question. Muslim, Christian, Eastern religions and Judiasm, why do they have so many followers. Is there something in it or is it their ancient writings that guides them? Then I look at the agnostics, atheists etc and I wonder how many of them there are. They are heard though they seem to have loud voices. I want to read their writings and guidelines. My religion?? I don't know the category. I believe that personkind (politically correct) should live their life loving their fellow person help where one can and treat everyone as equals and be kind to all living creatures - even stingrays. I don't know of a book about those teachings perhaps I should write it. The only trouble is it wouldn't sell. Cloud cuckoo land. Oliver
Where there is kindness to animals, everything else may be taken for granted.
Judge a person's character by how they treat animals and how that person will treat those who can do nothing for them.

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2006, 04:57:39 AM »
It's a shame. The corruption in the Church I mean. Jesus devoted his life to spreading love and peace (as did most other prophets), and yet look what happened. He's associated with an organization who are probably as unholy as you can get. Obviously - being a devoted Christian is a good thing, if you apply it with some common sense. But many don't. Many just accept what they're told, and don't think for themselves.

Oh and Oliver - read anything by M Scott Peck (The Road Less Travelled especially), or anything by Wayne W Dyer.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline oliver

• Abandoned children often live with their parents
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2006, 07:28:33 AM »
Hi walkio, I have read A Road Less Travelled and really enjoyed it - gave me food for thought. Will search out Wayne D Dyer. Thanks for that.

I wholeheartedly agree with your views on the Prophets. I stand corrected but did any Prophet ever enter a church, mosque or any such man-made place of worship or were they even in existence at the time? I believe some lived in a place that became a holy site, a place of worship but they themselves didn't suggest that man create a place of worship. Where did the ugly word 'religion' come from? Fanatism is spawned from 'religion' not from the teachings of that particular belief. Sometimes I fear a new 'Crusades' as a result of fanatic thinking. When one listens to some of these politicians I'm sure they think they are the new breed of Knights Templar (that dreaded word even crept in there - temple)   

Man stuffs up everything for greed and power. All we have to do is look around us. I sometimes I  pity God when one side fights a war in his name and the other side defends themselves in his name. Whoever wins says that God was on their side. (Thanks Bob Dylan)  He is very busy at the moment with all the 'holy wars' going on. Always thought that holy wars was a contradiction in terms. What do I know?

I say let women rule.

Oliver

Where there is kindness to animals, everything else may be taken for granted.
Judge a person's character by how they treat animals and how that person will treat those who can do nothing for them.

Offline The Guitarist

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2006, 07:32:40 AM »
I'm a Christian, sitting somewhere between Anglicanism and Catholicism. Jesus Christ died to save us all, guys!
However, I do think there are some valid points in the Wiccan tradition, and nature should definitely be treated with respect. Though this is sort of implied in the Bible: "The Earth and everything in it I give unto your possession".

Ian
Ian the Guitarist - A-level philosophy student and potential medic!
Last night I dreamed I ate a ten-pound marshmallow, and when I woke up the pillow was gone.
[/size]

Offline Elodie-Caroline

• Jean Reno by Elodie
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2006, 07:32:58 AM »
I say let women rule... Yeah, we couldn't have done any worse a job than you men have for the last few millenium! lol  ;)

Ellie

PaulW

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2006, 07:46:18 AM »
You mean women haven't been ruling?  :P

Offline Alex F

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2006, 07:50:45 AM »
Humm.. who was it said that 'if women ruled the world there would be no more wars?'

Well, dare I mention Maggie Thatcher and the Falklands....

So that throws that idea straight out the window ;D
"Hell? There is no heaven, there is no hell, there is only this place, the land of the dead, my friend..."

PaulW

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2006, 08:02:23 AM »
Actually I'm going to take the bait here.

I personally believe that women are just as capable as men. As capable of greatness and as capable of screwing up BIG time. So - lets make sure we are talking about the RIGHT kind of women here. Are we talking about the nice, friendly types that like to get on with people, or are we talking about the bullying cows who made your life hell at school. Because do you know WHICH women would actually end up ruling?

Its pretty much the same with men, there are so many nice, genuine guys who would sincerely do their best if they were in power. But they won't be will they - its the gits, the egotists, the greedy, the power-hungry who will be there. Men, women, makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

So - the only way to handle it isn't be gender, but by ensuring that nobody who wants power ever gets it. After all - when they DO get it, how can they resist using it to screw the rest of us poor saps up?

However. It is getting better. I hate to give up my cynicsm totally but with the recent Iraq war, the UK and US governments got seriously taken to task by the public, by the nice guys and gals who didn't see war as a viable option. It might not have done any good over that issue, but it'll make them think long and carefully before they push it again. It's only a small hope of course, a tiny one. But perhaps it's a start.

As for organised religion/churches - you ladies are welcome to 'em if you want 'em.  ;D

Over the 'women in charge' thing though. Ok, just imagine yourself in an office working only with women. No men, just women. Are you there now? Has the bitching started yet? Are you feeling a little insecure about what you are wearing, as one of the ones by the coffee machine gives you 'that sort' of glance? Need a cuddle yet?

My wife says - hell is three ambitious women in one office. Who am I to argue.

bleek

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2006, 08:08:08 AM »
Treat people how you would like to be treated and just try to be a good person. Oh and enjoy life and count your blessings.
That would be my religion.
Be good !!!
This is so true and I thought only a handful of ppl believe this because ppl treat each other literally like shit but anyway
I personally believe in GOD and am a christian
I am what ppl say a back row Baptist

bleek

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2006, 08:09:49 AM »
PaulW
I love what your wife said my hubby probably would say that to but I could be the three woman bald in one!!!! ;D

Nelodra

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2006, 08:12:28 AM »
Hmmm... raised (orthodox) christian.
Nope, I'm not a christian anymore.
I was born with a Jewish soul...

bleek

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2006, 08:13:09 AM »
I say let women rule... Yeah, we couldn't have done any worse a job than you men have for the last few millenium! lol ;)

Ellie
At first truly woman screwed it up but as we have grown and learned from our an-sisters I believe we could do a better job than men. I'm just waiting on a woman President to take over.

PaulW

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2006, 08:17:46 AM »
At first truly woman screwed it up but as we have grown and learned from our an-sisters I believe we could do a better job than men. I'm just waiting on a woman President to take over.

A lot of women used to say that in the UK, until we got a female prime minister. Be careful what you wish for.

(though I still believe the gender is totally irrelevant and this woman-good, man-bad rant reeks a bit of animal farm)

bleek

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2006, 08:29:42 AM »
Men aint bad They just make decisions that are nutty and irrelevant for the situation sometimes

Offline Alex F

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2006, 08:30:35 AM »
Yes I agree, both men and women have equal abilities and potential so it shouldn't matter at all who is incharge one way or another, or at least I think so anyway, the battle of the sexes has been played out for a long time across the world and I certainly don't think we need to jump on the bandwagon here with that.
By the way Paul, I love the example of what might happen in a totally female dominated office, ha ha! That is unfortunately a side effect of many women togther, I can't claim to understand it myself but it happens nonetheless.
"Hell? There is no heaven, there is no hell, there is only this place, the land of the dead, my friend..."