Author Topic: Sooo Religion...... who do you follow? Do you follow? Your Views here.  (Read 23227 times)

memnoch

I personally am pagan and belief that everything is alive and ultimately life creates life and is distributed evenly throughout the universe. This has a tendency to be reflected in my work. What do you guys think. I want to get a range of ideas in order to get a greater view on other peoples ideas.

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
Re: Sooo Religion...... who do you follow? Do you follow? Your Views here.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 03:44:27 PM »
wow, coincidence.  I was just this very day thinking of posting a similar topic.

I have no religion.  The closest I come to spiritual is thinking that, whatever there is, is probably way beyond the capacity of the human brain to appreciate.
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

nassj

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 04:01:46 PM »
Treat people how you would like to be treated and just try to be a good person. Oh and enjoy life and count your blessings.
That would be my religion.
Be good !!!

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 04:13:24 PM »
Wow Saturnine. Science has spent the last few millenia slowly emerging in spite of religion, co-existing with religion and perhaps finally beginning to replace religion, but you've just plumped ignorance. Don't you think that, even for someone with no religious beliefs, you have a duty as a human to be a little less faithless than that?

Sinreally
Bree ASt.

I couldn't be less faithless.

ps.  Are you a scientist Bryn? 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 04:21:07 PM by Saturnine »
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 04:16:34 PM »
what about save the panda? i think that's admirable. that rekindles my faith in humanity.

Does that require belief in a particular religion? (sorry, of course you are being ironic.  my mistake)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 04:19:38 PM by Saturnine »

Offline writing is hard

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 04:27:11 PM »
I'm a strong atheist.  Lots of people think that's arrogant, but I think it's common sense.  Others disagree.
Why?

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 04:50:45 PM »
What day is it? Ah thursday, I'm a Buddhist then. I've got a different religion for each day of the week, that way I get all the extra holidays and have a 1 in 7 chance of getting it right. Like Russian Roullette with God.  ;D

YAY for Friday and Taoism! ;)

Offline Big T

• Cheers, enjoy your day!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 05:34:54 PM »
What day is it? Ah thursday, I'm a Buddhist then. I've got a different religion for each day of the week, that way I get all the extra holidays and have a 1 in 7 chance of getting it right. Like Russian Roullette with God.  ;D

PaulW, don't know if anybody has said the words ... but I believe you will fit in famously here despite the ability to confuse, which leads me to ... Confuscious ... He's gotta be a Monday thing!
Big T  :o

Offline go.dot

• feeling strange again
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 05:44:49 PM »
tolerant agnostic
kthanxbai

Offline Tamara

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 09:48:18 PM »
This can really be a touchy subject.  I can remember a saying but don't remember who said it..."You should never discuss family, politics or religion with anyone you like."

I am almost afraid to say whay my beliefs are.  I find it admirable for anyone to speak out on their beliefs, even if it is not one of the norm.

I am Roman Catholic.  My entire family is RC, except my father, he is Russian Orthodox.  One of my best friends is Agnostic and find it interesting.  But not interesting enough to convert.  I enjoy being Catholic, even if I do not believe in everything that is preached, but that is my issue.

Well, this is my two cents worth.
Later,
tami :D
I tap my fingers on the table to the rhythm in my soul
-Keith Urban

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend,
Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read.   
-Grocho Marx

Offline akpolarmom

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 10:45:24 PM »
See I knew you were a Cool Kitty  ;)
I am a convert to Catholic Church.  I was Danish Lutheren by default( not really practicing)  and became Catholic by the Grace of God (and a swift kick in the booty  by the Holy Spirit....)But that is a whole other story...

Remember Blaise Pascal? Paraphrased goes something like this, and fit well with the way I look at life:  If I believe in God and live my life according to what He expects of me, and then upon my death the is no god, then I have lived a decent life, doing good for the world, led by His guidance etc. I am no worse off. Actuall the world may be better off because of what I did....If on the other hand I refuse to believe God excists, after having been given the opportunity, then upon my death discover there is a God, then I may expect a long eternity in rather "hot circumstances" for my refusal.

Now that may imply a fear of punishment to induce faith, but that is not why I choose to believe. I was given insight thru study and prayer, that I never had before and realized that God had indeed been missing from my life, the missing piece of a puzzle!
So as the Bible says " The Gates of Hell shall not prevail against the her." and I believe that!

Well that is my two cents worth...
Akpolarmom

Still in Search of More Tools of the Craft....

Offline Tamara

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 11:09:28 PM »
Well put, akpolarmom.....aka as "pretty puppy"

Alaska, huh?  There is one place that I have never gone, but would love to before I leave this world.  I live in Ohio!  Other than the leaf changing in autumn and beautiful snowy mornings, not much to talk about.

Later,
tami :D
I tap my fingers on the table to the rhythm in my soul
-Keith Urban

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend,
Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read.   
-Grocho Marx

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 12:28:36 AM »

:D

Go on, elaborate.  What do you believe Saturday to Wednesday then?  I hope you manage to work Pastafarianism (aka Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster) in there somewhere:   http://www.venganza.org/

(ooo wait, there's more info on the old site:  http://www.venganza.org/index_oldsite.htm )

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 12:35:39 AM by Saturnine »

Nadine L

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 02:29:40 AM »
I'm Roman Catholic by choice.  The only one in a huge family.  Later married a RC, so that worked out fine.

On a side bar, the most beautiful prayer I have ever heard was said by a Kickapoo Elder from the Kickapoo Tribe in Kansas.

He spoke in Kickapoo, which of course, I don't understand since it is not allowed to be taught to nontribal members.  I've heard a lot of Native American languages and prayers before, but this one was beyond my ability to describe for you.

To my delight, he translated it into English.  It was the most profound and holy experience I have ever witnessed.  I haven't thought about that for a long time.  Thanks for the thread, nice idea.

Nadine

PaulW

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 03:51:16 AM »
Thu: Buddhism(morning) Scientology(afternoon)
Fri: Taoism (morning) Juche (afternoon)
Sat: Judaism(morning) neo-paganism(afternoon)
Sun:Christianity(morning) Rastafarianism (afternoon)
Mon: Islam(morning) Spiritism(afternnoon)
Tue: Sikhism(morning) Hinduism(afternoon)
Wed:Baha'i  then Jainism then Shinto then Cao Dai then Zoroastaianism then Tenryiko then Pastafarianism then ....

Wednesday is my busy day, I'll believe in ANYTHING on Wednesdays.  ;D

Though on my official census forms it has me down as a Jedi (and yes it is actually on there - there was a mass movement among computer programmers at first, to put Jedi as your religion on the census forms. If more than a certain number say that - the gov't are forced to accept it as a genuine religion and give the option on gov't forms. Little bit of modern history for you there.)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 03:53:43 AM by PaulW »