Author Topic: stolry versus style  (Read 2050 times)

Offline aellaholcomb

stolry versus style
« on: February 06, 2006, 06:02:45 PM »
Hi Dale and others,

I though to add re this topic, how hard it sometimes is to go down and get a meaty story. It takes guts, I think. Maybe not for some people. I k now writers who say it is easy. I find it very hard even though sometimes wildly exciting.

I'm coming out of hole. Today, God help me, I wrote l000 words about this looney lovely young lady who keeps a hoard of stray cats and dogs and one goat and spends the rest of her time trying to discover floating magic in the world. Magic that seeps out between our words and thoughts. I have no idea where this came from. Perhaps it's just a head cleaner.
Then I emailed a fariend an old piece i wrote for a WD conterst, whichh obviously I didn't win, and now tomorrow I think back to JULIE AND STEVE.
Now for dinner and I hope photography of some amazing, damn amazing amaryllis that are huge like prehistoric flowers. And blood red.
Aella

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
Re: stolry versus style
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 08:14:22 PM »
Hi Aella, What a fascinating idea for a story. I particulary like the following: "discover floating magic in the world. Magic that seeps out between our words and thoughts." Are you going to use it for a novel? If so, post some of it when ready, I'd love to read more! Aelf.. :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy

Offline aellaholcomb

reply to Aelf
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 09:56:24 PM »
hello,

re floating magic. No novel. I was just in an "out of body experience." Ha. But I probably will play with it. I would love to be able to do some humor /comedy writing. But seems hard. I have all these weird funny ideas/people in my head (god wish I could cartoon/draw), and I'd like to be able to write about them.
             I did once do a long novella about a shyster mouse that I was totally in love with. I showed it to one professional writer who said NO NO NO.!!!! Thinking back I think I took that "no" too easily. She said animals didn't talk. But, hell, tons of books have animals talking. I think her thing was those animals were REALLY animals and my rat(mouse) was more human like in his pursuits (played violin), etc.

Sometimes I wryly think that my life as a writer will be as an avid correspondent and emailer now that email has come round. I dig doing this. It's fun and play.
        And , there are worse things. Nite. And thanks for feedback. I like the idea of floating magic also.
                                                     nite from the haunts of Maryland, Aella
PS I've just popped in here. How many people come by regularly? If anyone knows. All the comments I've read so far have been kind and sensible. Good sign

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
Re: stolry versus style
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 11:17:24 PM »
It's hard to say how many regulars come by but we're scratching at having 500 members and that's just since December. In my daily travels here it seems that there are about maybe 20, not including us moderators, we're here almost everyday. If your head is full of people and ideas, that's a real good start towards writing stories that sell. The idea about the shyster mouse is a prime example. Have you thought about short stories or flash fiction? That and a love of being on the internet could open possibilities for an ebook, who knows?.. ;)  Aelf