Author Topic: Will it work? I need help..  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Ebru

Will it work? I need help..
« on: February 06, 2006, 12:46:22 PM »
Hi to all...

I have a question about something i'm writing, it has quite abit to do with cultural background i.e certain things not being acceptable in the family whereas lets say for instance a english family will be ok about.

will it be easier to base the character names as english names (which i have), that majority of people are familiar with or use more meditteranean names which then readers might have a bit of difficulty getting use to

any suggestions???

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
Re: Will it work? I need help..
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 12:53:52 PM »
Hi Ebru,

If you were talking about cultural names being, say, tribal names or something more difficult to get used to, then I might have thought twice about using them (although personally I always take note of interesting and unusual names in books).

If you're talking Mediterranean, then I should stick with them - if it worries you, you could stick to the more common ones that people are likely to know, while still keeping the cultural element:

Jacques, Pierre, Jose, Juanita, Mario, Miguel ... you know the sort ...

Does that help? I suppose it depends on the reader - someone else here might have better (or more informed) advice to give you.

Good luck with it (but remember, names ARE important - as much for you when writing as for your readers!!)

Symphony

Offline Ebru

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 06:38:57 AM »
thanks for that Symphony, i wasn't sure as english names might sound a bit strange due to the circumstances in the book, i think your right about the type of names you suggested which i to was thinking about.

thanks again xx

Lin

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 08:06:35 AM »
Yes I agree with Symphony I think it sounds more authentic using the cultural names of the characters if you wish to portray a particular culture.  Perhaps you could tease us with a short excerpt from what you are writing and then we can add our comments to assist you further

Lin

Offline Ebru

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 08:22:35 AM »
I'm not ready to tease just yet............. but thanks for your opinion too, now I'll have to go back and change all character names

cheers Lin