Author Topic: Flash Fiction #56  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Flash Fiction #56
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »
To answer Matt's question about entering twice.  I did it a couple of times back in the early days when the subject triggered two wildly different tales.  So different in one case that people were quite surprised to find the second one was mine.

You may think that two entries improves your chances of winning, but it can split your votes.  Let's say your stories get six votes each, and the winning entry only had seven.  There's a good chance you may have scored more than that if you only had one horse in the race.  Especially if entry levels are low and the voters only have one vote to play with.

So overall it's not such a good idea as it might seem.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline heidi52

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »
Of course we all know what happens when you do win, so maybe submitting 2 entries is hedging your bets in a different direction.  ::)

Offline Laura H

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 06:38:15 PM »
No matter what, if a flash fiction prompt inspires you to write a new story or two - that's a win  ;)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline redmeat73

• Luke and Lilly - my little sausages.
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »
Indeed, my question was motivated by nothing other than a double bolt of inspiration.  ;D

Matt..
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...