Author Topic: Crystal Lake Publishing  (Read 95327 times)

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
Re: Crystal Lake Publishing
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 08:08:36 AM »
Thanks, Ma and Sio. I'm really learning a lot (really fast) about the publishing industry. Lots of sleepless nights, but very worthwhile.  ;)
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

thatollie

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »
I'll keep an eye on this.

Offline ed

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
I must say at some point I have to sit and read a zombie fictional book.

I just can't imagine how I would get scared by reading description about a guy coming up and eating another

On film, I can see how scary it can be. ( I love the walking dead series ) but even the graphic novel that the TV series was based on didn't do it for me. Zombie stuff for me needs to be visual for it to be scary.

I sometimes wonder though if certain things work best in film than in book form, because of how visual they are.

Anyway, I would love your recommendations on a book written by a famous writer who is known for being super scary in their books. I would like to read it to see if has the fear factor :) Oh and it doesn't have to be a zombie book, it could be any well known horror book that is know for giving people the creeps.

I've tried my hand at paranormal/sci-fi and love it.
I'm trying my hand at a contemporary love story ( very very challenging )
I definitely would like to have a go at a horror story in 2013
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:03:48 PM by ed »

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 12:06:30 AM »
I'll keep an eye on this.

Thanks, Ollie.

Ed, luckily this book will not only focus on zombies. There will be humans fighting in a continuous hand-to-hand battle (can't say exactly why yet - we're still brainstorming that part), so there will be murder and deceit as well - scary and suspenseful. There are also a few creatures who live in the shadows of the mountains. They keep people from escaping the wasteland and torture their prisoners for fun.

I'd recommend Pet Cemetery by Stephen King if you haven't read it yet. For zombies, Brian Keene.
Ramsey Campbell is a brilliant psychological horror writer. If you enjoy classics, try Arthur Conan Doyle's horror stories, or Ambrose Bierce.
If you like in your face gore that makes you cringe, Jack Ketchum's your man.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Foxy

• Global Moderator
  • Yaar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 05:48:44 AM »
I'd have to second Joe's recommendation of Ramsey Campbell, he is the only author who has ever made my blood run cold. Try The Doll Who Ate His Mother or Incarnate. Real chilling stuff.
My novel, Trinity, available from Amazon.
UK http://tinyurl.com/7fq8rzt  US http://tinyurl.com/7ecvkom

Blog: One Loose Cannon http://wp.me/2fgNI

Book Covers and artwork: http://patrickfox.crevado.com/

Twitter: http://twitter.com/PatrickFox_

Offline ed

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »
Thanks, Ollie.

Ed, luckily this book will not only focus on zombies. There will be humans fighting in a continuous hand-to-hand battle (can't say exactly why yet - we're still brainstorming that part), so there will be murder and deceit as well - scary and suspenseful. There are also a few creatures who live in the shadows of the mountains. They keep people from escaping the wasteland and torture their prisoners for fun.

I'd recommend Pet Cemetery by Stephen King if you haven't read it yet. For zombies, Brian Keene.
Ramsey Campbell is a brilliant psychological horror writer. If you enjoy classics, try Arthur Conan Doyle's horror stories, or Ambrose Bierce.
If you like in your face gore that makes you cringe, Jack Ketchum's your man.

Excellent I will check all 3 out

thatollie

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »
I'll add one last little recommendation on the end of Joe's list, The Ceremonies by T.E.D. Klein.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 01:49:28 AM »
I'll add one last little recommendation on the end of Joe's list, The Ceremonies by T.E.D. Klein.

Definitely.

I'm also a big fan of John Connolly's Charlie Parker series. His short stories are also amazing.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 07:48:26 AM »
*Free*: Kindle horror short story collection Lost in the Dark. My Christmas gift to you. If you feel inclined to give something back, a review, like, tag or FB share would be great.

Happy holidays and merry Christmas, everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-in-the-Dark-ebook/dp/B008R1FDME/ref=la_B0080R9GJ6_1_1_title_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1355315790&sr=1-1

Offline ed

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 10:38:11 PM »

Nice i would love to tackle a horror, but would want to see how the pros have done it first.

Offline ed

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2012, 10:38:59 PM »
*Free*: Kindle horror short story collection Lost in the Dark. My Christmas gift to you. If you feel inclined to give something back, a review, like, tag or FB share would be great.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-in-the-Dark-ebook/dp/B008R1FDME/ref=la_B0080R9GJ6_1_1_title_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1355315790&sr=1-1

Nice snapped it up, liked it and tagged it.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 01:56:54 AM »
Thanks, Ed. Hope you enjoy it.  :)

Offline Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »

Thanks, Joe, but I'm getting the paperback for Christmas.  :)

I showed this link to the other half, however, and she was downloading the collection before I could draw breath.

Of course, I'll refrain from telling her the paperback is far superior to the electronic version when the book is safely in my hands.  ;D
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 11:22:20 AM »

Thanks, Joe, but I'm getting the paperback for Christmas.  :)

I showed this link to the other half, however, and she was downloading the collection before I could draw breath.

Of course, I'll refrain from telling her the paperback is far superior to the electronic version when the book is safely in my hands.  ;D

That's great, Taylor. I sold quite a few copies locally today. Who knew a horror book would make such a great Christmas gift.  :D

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »
Now this was a fun interview:

Author interview with horror writer Ray Cluley: Ever wondered what authors would do while trapped in a dungeon? Follow the link to find out.
http://www.crystallakepub.com/blog/a-word-for-a-word-with-ray-cluley