Author Topic: temporary stopping  (Read 2764 times)

Offline aellaholcomb

temporary stopping
« on: February 03, 2006, 05:38:28 PM »
 :'(HI, I'm new here. Stopped to grit teeth and remind myself a long drawn out illness is not excuse for letting my novel sit for l l/2 weeks with no work. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrr. No comments needed. Or maybe they are. Writing is such a gift/curse. The ultimate paradox. Aella

Offline orchid15

• Leona's Happy place
Re: temporary stopping
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »
I don't lnow about the others here, but sometimes illness is a good reason to stay away from a book.  I have a chrionic illness, and that doesn't stop me, but I had a relapsse and I ignored my novel for over a month.  When I look at the short stories I wrote in that time, I'm glad I dsidn't touch my precious novel.  any work on it while I was that sick would not have improved it.  There is a difference between procrastination and being too sick or in the wrong mood to write.  But if I am sick and feel diisinclined to write, I pay attention.

Yesterday I picked up my poor neglected novel and finished rewriting the first scene- edited iit, made a chapter list and formatted the book for submitting to the publisher.

I wwas sick again today-- so no touchi

Orchid15
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy

Offline prophetcharlesb

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 08:52:22 PM »
Ahhh, the flesh is weak but the spirit is willing. :)
"A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life"

christopher morley

Lin

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 05:14:48 AM »
I am a firm believer in stopping for a while!!  It refreshes the mind, allows you to see errors and omissions which you wouldnt otherwise see.   They say that learning only works in 20 minute cycles and this is true for writing too.   You can have too much of a good thing.   So dont feel guility, its the way I work and that works for me by allowing me some thinking space - illness or no illness.   Keep up the good thinking and then do the writing!!

Lin

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 06:42:03 AM »
I'm with you on that one, Lin. No matter what I write, I finish it - be that a chapter, a short story or even a set of ideas - then I put it away in a virtual bottom drawer for a couple of weeks. Very often, when I take it out again for review I am SO relieved I didn't send it off to anyone. Occasionally, I still like it the way it is. THEN I know it's ready for others to at least read.

Breaks are good and, as you say, Lin, they bring a fresh element to what you're writing.

Lin

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 12:42:17 PM »
Glad you agree, it is better isnt it - chat to you later eh?

Lin

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 08:24:23 PM »
Hi all, when I write, it's usually for 4-5 hours daily. I can do this usually for about 5-6 days, then it catches up with me. I get up, have breakfast, and am in doom and gloomsville the rest of the day. I can't even think about writing. I have to vegetate. Then, the next day, my drive and motivation are back in full swing. Time off is truly beneficial, whether due to sickness or exhaustion.  :) Aelf
"Writing is just having a sheet of paper, a pen, and not a shadow of an idea of what you're going to say." --Francoise Sagan