Author Topic: Publishers and printers racially/religiously biased??  (Read 2199 times)

Offline prophetcharlesb

Publishers and printers racially/religiously biased??
« on: February 03, 2006, 03:40:03 PM »
I have found publishers and printers over the years to be very very racial and religiously biased. Matter of fact down right nasty and threatening. Even large discounts are given from some publishers and printers if your book is racially or religious slanted. It doesnt matter if its the truth or a lie, as long as it promotes their agenda/view point. Alot of books historically speaking are a bunch of lies, its hard now a days to find a historically correct book. Anyway, over the years I have ran across this bias and to be the basis of rejection. Anyone else ran up against this??
"A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life"

christopher morley

Lin

Re: Publishers and printers racially/religiously biased??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 03:56:39 PM »
MMMM sounds like a sticky subject eh?  I have no experience of this but understand it could be a possibility.   Good luck on this one

Lin

Offline prophetcharlesb

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 07:15:48 PM »
Yeah I noticed folks really shyed from it. LOL Ive seen it for yrs, its called fear of them. All I can say is Thank God for Underground Printers.

"A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life"

christopher morley

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 06:37:05 AM »
Hi,

I haven't come across it myself - and doubt I will, since my writing doesn't broach those topics - or hasn't as yet! Still, there's bias everywhere - bound to be - so I can't see any reason why it wouldn't creep into the publishing world as well.

I hope I don't have to come across it but it must be very frustrating for those who do,

Symphony

Offline orchid15

• Leona's Happy place
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 03:22:13 PM »
I think it's only natural that we will run into publishers with a strong bias in one direction or another.  After all, they're people, and most people have strong beliefs.  I am sure that some publishing companies were started specifically to allow  Certain viewpoints to reach the public.  A person or the talent for publishing, who believes passionately in protecting the ecology, might print only about protecting the ecology or exposÚs on those who don't.  A publisher might start out specifically to encourage stories by Latinos or blacks or Orientals.

I think a lot of the smaller publishers will have a bias in one direction or another, depending on what they believe the public needs and wants to hear.  That's why we need to be so careful to read the writers guidelines and looked to see what they've already printed.  Sometimes they come right out and explain their bias on the about us page telling why they started and what they hoped to present.

I never take offense about the fact that a publisher might be biased, but I am careful to look for where the bias is submit or not submit accordingly.

Orchid15
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy