Author Topic: Writing Costs  (Read 795 times)

Offline Hilary Hughes

• The Hughes School of Motoring
Writing Costs
« on: October 22, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »
A friend of mine has been approached to document the social history of a family and their business over the course of approx 100 years. She's not sure how much to ask in payment although she has had academic material published in book form before. Does anyone know the best way to approach the finance position? Should she be working per hour, word, completion etc? I gather there may be a certain amount of interviewing certain family members, so there will expenses involved.

Thanks,
Hilary.
http://www.thehughesschoolofmotoring.com/

Experience is a hard teacher - she gives the test first and the lesson afterwards

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: Writing Costs
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:54:24 AM »
Per hour is always tricky as you can never tell how long it will take and how much of your time is fairly spent on the project.

If she could offer a rate per word and perhaps extra expenses for interviews which she could bill at a certain rate, plus materials etc she might be able to offer a figure if she could reasonably predict how long she'd need to spend with people [including travel time]. :-\

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 03:24:37 PM »
She should try to negotiate per word plus expenses.

That kind of project is often a flat fee, though. Hope she has some negotiating skills!
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:30:15 PM »
A lot of genealogy researchers charge by time (so much an hour) and expenses. Expenses are for copies, travel, etc. I don't have any idea about the actual writing. FYI

Offline Hilary Hughes

• The Hughes School of Motoring
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 10:26:14 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. I shall pass the info' along.
Hilary
http://www.thehughesschoolofmotoring.com/

Experience is a hard teacher - she gives the test first and the lesson afterwards