Author Topic: The rambling of an ancient writer  (Read 2570 times)

Offline A.W.M

The rambling of an ancient writer
« on: September 05, 2012, 01:07:25 PM »
                          Beyond The Whiteness

The screen is taunting me, egging me on to press the keys and make letters appear upon the whiteness.  My mind is blank.  My fingers reach for the keys, freeze above them and wait for instructions.  There are none.  I begin to feel pressure pulling me toward the whiteness, closer and closer.  I try to resist but I am no match as it sucks me forward.  I am pulled into the very depth of the blinding whiteness.    I try to run, to escape the nightmare only to come against a wall.  I wave my hand to move the whiteness aside, to see what is holding me back.  Slowly the whiteness parts and I am looking through a window.  Before me is an empty chair, behind that a closed door, a dark room bathed in a white glow.

I recognize my chair, my room.  Moments ago I had been sitting in the chair.

Slowly the whiteness returns, blocking out the window.  I am once again blinded, surrounded by the whiteness.

I am left to wonder if by chance someone will come to sit in the chair, in the glow of the whiteness, and attempt to put words on the screen. 

I do not want to be in here by myself…it is very lonely.

::)

Most people live and die
with their music still unplayed.
They never dare to try.

~ Mary Kay Ash

Offline heidi52

Re: The rambling of an ancient writer
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »
Having a little writer's block? Know the feeling.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:36:07 PM »
Have a nice cup of tea, it'll settle you, pet. ;)

Offline A.W.M

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 07:53:43 PM »
heidi, I swear as I sat looking at the white screen, I could feel the force pulling me in. A terrifying experience to be sure.   :o

Easy for you to say, 510.  You're not imprisoned behind this screen, choking on the suffocating  whiteness.  Can't you hear my tap, tap, tapping on the screen?  Don't you see me waving to get your attention?    ;D

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:42:25 PM by A.W.M »
Most people live and die
They never dare to try.

~ Mary Kay Ash

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:55:53 PM »
Aw, mate . . . sorry. :-[

I'm a teacher, I've been trained to actively ignore distractions. ;D

Here, Heidi, what can we do to help the poor bugger? ;)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 08:12:24 PM »
Do what the windows manual says.

If all else fails, turn off the computer wait a minute then reboot.  Nine times out of ten it will all start up again properly and A.W.M will be back in his chair just looking slightly bewildered.

If not then I don't really know.

Maybe send him an email, and he can hitch a ride back out on the reply.  But then he may be trapped in your computer instead of his own.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:29:18 PM »
Arrgh! Scary. :o

I haven't got the spare room set up . . . gimme a mo' ;)

Offline A.W.M

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 09:29:51 PM »
I feel a calmness come over me.  I sense a voice speaking, guiding me.   No, not a voice, something else, something drawing me away from the screen and the room, and guiding me back into the very depths of the whiteness.  Deeper and deeper I go.  I pause and look back, wondering if I should return to the screen and wait for help before it is too late.  If I continue into the whiteness, will I ever find my way back?  What lies ahead?   I step carefully, my hands out before me to warn of any obstacles hidden in the whiteness.  As I travel deeper, I think of Heidi, 510, and Gyppo.  They were there to offer help.  Had I turned my back on them?  Where would I turn if I continue into the whiteness?  Would I be forever lost?   I could almost taste the tea 510 had offered.

As I walked, I noticed the whiteness slowly fade.  Ahead a bright light beckoned me.  The next moment the whiteness was gone, blown away by a cool, refreshing breeze.   I stood overlooking a valley of green, swaying palms.   White sand stretched as far as the eye could see.  Blue waters caressed the beach. Bird’s chirped.  Music, sweet and low, floated on the fragrant breeze.  And there, there before me were story ideas hanging from the sky for my taking.  Enough to keep me writing for one hundred years.  Every where I turned were more ideas, all calling my name, calling out, “Pick me.  Pick me.”  It was then that I realized the secret of “Writer’s Block.”  

When faced with the white screen, look deeper into the whiteness.  No, deeper than that.  Give it a moment.  Soon the whiteness will dissolve, the words will come.  They will come fast and furious, more than you ever thought possible.  

I must turn away now and return to find my way to the screen.  I must find my friends who were there to offer help.  I must tell them the secret of the white screen.  They will never, ever have to face it again.

“Yes, Nurse Mildred, I realize, it’s time for my pill.  Please, please, give me a moment.  I must reach my friends at MWC.”

:D

Most people live and die
They never dare to try.

~ Mary Kay Ash

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Excellent ramble!

The brew's made. D'you want me to turn down your duvet cover for you? ;D

Offline A.W.M

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 09:46:58 PM »
The pill is beginning to work.  I feel . . . feel sort of out of . . . Yes, would you please turn down the cover.  This has been so . . .so exhausting.  I must rest.
Most people live and die
They never dare to try.

~ Mary Kay Ash

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »
"Yes, nurse -- check on him regularly through the night, but don't sit with him. He needs plenty of rest and if he wakens up you could be a distraction. He'll ramble on about his dreams and probably try and pitch his latest novel to you. He's got it in all his head -- just can't quite get it to jump through the hoops for him. It needs to slowly sift into his consciousness without disturbance."

"Does he have insurance?"

"Nurse! This is a charitable facility. MCW Medical Care for Writers. He's confused. Keeps calling it MWC. Now,please if you could return to your duties otherwise I shall have to call the agency."

Offline heidi52

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 08:18:05 AM »
Quick! Take this pen and paper so you can write down some of those good ideas before your nap.

"and when you awake, you will be refreshed and remember all those ideas and the words will spring forward like a fountain, no, a tsunami."

;D ;D ;D

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 08:37:44 AM »
Seems to be having a good sleep, let's not disturb him. ;)

Offline A.W.M

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 08:50:58 AM »
 Hey, that was fun.  We should do this more often.  Thanks for joining in.   I wish to thank Nurse Mildred for her kindness, also.

:) :) :)
Most people live and die
They never dare to try.

~ Mary Kay Ash