Author Topic: The second time around . . . ?  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Zombierella LoveLetter

The second time around . . . ?
« on: September 01, 2012, 08:57:16 AM »
Hiya =^-^=
Okay, I wrote a story draft of about 100,000 words and an odd 500 or so to add to that, but I havenít edited, cut, or rewrote any part of it.
Now Iím about to do so, but itís soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo big!  :-\
I donít know where to begin. I know I have faults throughout the storyóthings I need to better explain, things to tie in, ectóbut I canít seem to simply start from chapter one and go straight through rewriting the whole doc.
I feel like I miss too many things when I edit. There are just so many little details to remember  :-[
Maybe Iím over thinking it a bit, but after you write a story over 100,000 words or so, how do you know where to begin rewriting, ect? What steps do you take next, and in what order? (You, personally)
If someoneís asked this question before, Iím sorry for re-asking, but I couldnít find anything on it  ???
Itís such an exhausting process and I just donít know where to start. Any help?
Thanks <3

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: The second time around . . . ?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »
Have you got a chapter by chapter synopsis? That is helpful for making sure you don't miss and key chronology issues or people [bit parts] who disappear/remain hovering and don't make a satisfactory exit. It also shows you your sequence of events and if you need to pick up the pace, slow it down etc.

Once you know what's happening where, then you can address the actual writing within the chapters, make amendments if need be and see if it is as tight and smooth as possible -- cull redundancies, lose repetitions and suchlike. ;)

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 09:22:38 AM »
Hi, welcome Zombierella.

Sio, has given you some excellent advice. Essentially, you need to map out your story and break it down into workable chunks. Have a look at some software that will help with redundant words. A good one is the passivator and another which is failing me at the moment. I will try to remember and post back though.  I know some recommend auto crit but there is another one which I quite like.
Time to take it serious and get the job done

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »
Pro Writing Aid is handy too -- thought take it with a huge container of salt -- especially if the piece is dialogue heavy [and allowed to break the rules] ;)
http://www.prowritingaid.com/Index.aspx

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »
That's the one. ;D
Time to take it serious and get the job done

Offline Zombierella LoveLetter

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »
Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!  :D
The link helped a lot :í) thank you both! <3

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »
You're welcome. ;)

Lin

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 10:45:19 AM »
If this is your first novel I suggest you cut it down to just under 100K words.  If you intend to e-publish I have discovered the publishers want text under the 100K word mark due to slow internet speed of some users.  Also if you go for mainstream publishing they prefer 100K words or less.  There is a very good reason for this - a smaller book sells on the bookshelves and is less expensive to produce for the publisher. (Unless your name is Penny Vincenzi)

May I suggest you send me the first three pages of your book and I will look at the editing and see if there are lots of words you could cut down on, to give you an idea where to start. YES its a big job! I know because I am doing this now.  Using an editing programme is  a useful tool.  I use AutoCrit which is free for your purpose unless like me you bought the professional version.  I will send you a report to get you started.

I first look at all the unnecessary words,  HAD/IT/THEY/WERE/WAS then I look at repeated words and phrases - if you go EDIT on MS Word and press FIND - key in FIND ALL of a particular word and you will highlight all those words - see if they are close together in the same sentence or even within a couple of sentences or a short paragraph, then find an alternative word.  But the editing programme is very useful. Don't forget the use the grammer checker too in MS Word, but remember the final decision is yours to make those changes

Lin x
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:53:43 AM by Lin Treadgold »