Author Topic: Electronic publishing rights  (Read 2350 times)

Offline orchid15

• Leona's Happy place
Electronic publishing rights
« on: February 02, 2006, 04:33:02 PM »
Everyone should know that  posting a story in a forum like this counts as first electronic publishing to some web-based magazines.  I ran to that fact when I was researching writer guiidelines for magazines that were exclusively printed on websites.  Some publishers refused to consider anything that had appeared on antoher website. and others offered less money.

Since print magazines don't concern themselves with electronic rights, they seem to ignore the issue.

orchid15
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy

Offline prophetcharlesb

Re: Electronic publishing rights
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 08:02:01 PM »
Also I have read on some message boards that it is not clear on whether copywrite laws apply to an ebook posted on the web for download. 

There seems also to be question if the copywrite would apply to the ebook even after the book is traditionally published and copywrited.

I think having an ebook of your book would prob be a good idea for those who love ebooks.

Does anyone know for sure what the laws are regarding ebooks on the web for download??
"A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life"

christopher morley

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: Electronic publishing rights
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 05:45:54 AM »
I don't pretend to be an expert on these matters, but my understanding is that, under international copyright conventions, copyright automatically belongs to the creator of any original piece of work. The only exception is if you were writing the work in question as part of your job, in which case the employer normally owns the copyright.

So writing an e-book and publishing/distributing it via the web does NOT mean you have automatically renounced the copyright on it, any more than would be the case with publishing in the traditional manner. I have written a number of e-books and courses, and I know that my publishers (WCCL) vigorously prosecute anyone found illegally distributing my products. Of course, it's harder to protect your copyright on the web, as it's a global medium, but that doesn't mean that copyright laws don't apply.

Nick  :)

Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.