Author Topic: 2nd draft and editors  (Read 3992 times)

Offline ed

2nd draft and editors
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:10:02 PM »
Want to just get feedback from those what you tend to be looking for, changing or working on in your 2nd draft? ( are you pretty much reading it through and adding more description, taking out description, fixing grammar issues etc?)

Also anyone using any good editors. I know lin mentioned one and I will probably contact them but interested in knowing who you have used in the past

Also what you think is a good price to pay for editor for a novel that is around 75,000 words?

cheers
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:37:17 PM by ed »

Offline ed

Offline ed

Re: 2nd draft and editors
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 12:16:17 PM »
Amazing how much you see when you convert your doc to a PDF and then read it. I do this with my clients work before handing it to them and 100% of the time find errors.

Its like PDF shows your writing in a slightly different view

Offline heidi52

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »
Sad to say, reading a printout of the PDF will often point out even more.

I think the computer hides some of them.  ;D ;D

Offline ed

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:52:21 PM »
Sad to say, reading a printout of the PDF will often point out even more.

I think the computer hides some of them.  ;D ;D

May do that down at  local store, would cost a fair packet printing 300 odd pages off

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »
May do that down at  local store, would cost a fair packet printing 300 odd pages off

. . . and you will do it a few times over if you want to give your mss a thorough check. ;)

Usually after what you think is your final draft and then maybe just some individual pages . . . if you haven't wrecked your page numbering system when you print off the final, final draft. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ed

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »
. . . and you will do it a few times over if you want to give your mss a thorough check. ;)

Usually after what you think is your final draft and then maybe just some individual pages . . . if you haven't wrecked your page numbering system when you print off the final, final draft. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ah i haven't numbered anything yet. I have a rough format i.e borders, double spaced, font 12 etc but I am leaving the typesetting and final formatting to after the editor goes through it.

Here is my current process:

Right now I have it in PDF format, reading through, correcting errors as I go in the word doc and marking down on a seperate paper areas that need to either be improved or removed or moved around. ( long old process... urgghhhhhh!! )

Next step will be to do those improvements

Then i will read through again, this time marking the areas where the chapters will be ( right now I just have it in scenes ) I will create the chapter areas.

After that I will go back through again to see if there are any more improvements I can make

Then I will hand it over to 3 people to proofread ( each will take 100 pages ) after they are done

I will then hire an editor to go through it

Once back I will go through it one final time.

Then I will have someone get it ready for amazon and smashwords
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:41:40 PM by ed »

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »
An editor will probably want numbered pages. ;D

Even samples sent have to have numbered pages. :)

Offline ed

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »
An editor will probably want numbered pages. ;D

Even samples sent have to have numbered pages. :)

Well only takes a few seconds to add that in in word before i send over

Offline ed

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 02:48:05 PM »
Finally got through 1 entire reading, fixed a lot of errors in the document as i went. Took me a day and half of reading.

Jotted down other notes and now to make those changes. Long old process.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »
Jotted down other notes and now to make those changes. Long old process.

The pursuit of excellence was always thus  ;-)

The computer may make some things easier, but it doesn't make them any less exacting if you take your work seriously.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 12:49:43 AM »
I convert my word files to Kindle format and read it from there. So many mistakes. Then I send them to a couple of proofreaders (lots of mistakes again), and then I read the entire thing on the Kindle again. Just one or two mistakes or rewording and then it's ready.
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.