Author Topic: Antonym for balcony  (Read 8136 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: Antonym for balcony
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 10:19:37 AM »
inside ;)

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 10:21:53 AM »
Inside an 1876 western saloon. It is 2 stories and the upper level has rooms along one side and a walk way in the middle. There is an open area on the other side of the 2nd story where a person can look down to the bar and faro table. When you are on the second floor and looking down through the open area, on the first floor is what I was trying to get a word to describe. I've followed Sio's suggestion and calling it 'whatever.' The 'whatever' is either the viper pit or snake pit. Wolfe posted a link to a picture that roughly shows the situation.

Lin

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Today it's called a mezzanine

The mezzanine floor often projects itself from the walls and does not completely close the view of the ceiling from the floor immediately below. In short, a mezzanine floor and the floor below it share the same ceiling. Mezzanine floors are often located between the ground floor and the first floor but it is not unusual to have mezzanine floors in the upper floors of a building.

Lin x
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:01:08 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »
Yes, Mezzanine is technically accurate and one that did not come to my mind. I just checked my western dictionaries and it isn't there...not meaning it couldn't have been used though. However I don't think it was a colloquially used word of the time ? Thanks for the input, Lin.

Lin

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 02:25:35 PM »
Ah let's talk flexilbity here  ;D  How about an Italian cowboy whose family came to the US to seek their fortune.  The Italian cowboy says. 'He shoota me from the mezzanina.'

Okay I tried to be funny.  Not my day today.

Lin x

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 03:05:01 PM »
Well Lin, I do have some humor in the book but no Italian cowboys.  ;)  That got me to thinking. There weren't a lot of Italians in the old American west, at least no where near the numbers of English, Cornish, Scots, Irish, French, Chinese etc. Prospecting, gold camps, mining, didn't appeal to them for some reason. I know the Cornish had a great history of working in mines, and therefore were sought after.

Now we have spaghetti westerns...times do change  :)

Lin

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2012, 02:15:04 AM »
Spanish cowboy? - maybe they use that word too anyway, but as you say it's probably not a cowboy word.  Balcony is probably a good one - or 'up there' he said pointing to the open stairway.

Lin x

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2012, 03:28:10 AM »
Inside an 1876 western saloon. It is 2 stories and the upper level has rooms along one side and a walk way in the middle. There is an open area on the other side of the 2nd story where a person can look down to the bar and faro table. When you are on the second floor and looking down through the open area, on the first floor is what I was trying to get a word to describe. I've followed Sio's suggestion and calling it 'whatever.' The 'whatever' is either the viper pit or snake pit. Wolfe posted a link to a picture that roughly shows the situation.

These are just thoughts so use or abuse.  ;D Vipers, would a rattler be more common? :-\ Then again maybe down in the spit and sawdust. :-\ Upstairs, portico, balustrade, catwalk.  :-\

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2012, 05:28:53 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, ma. The saloon is a rough and tumble place, so what he sees below needs to reflect that. I'm still looking at viper or snake pit. It leaves open many options in dialogue and discussion, plus it does have a western 'ring' to it. I might just post a scene to see what people think, and it might be easier to comment.

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 05:40:56 AM »
It probably would be Bill.