Author Topic: Escape plan  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
Re: Escape plan
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 02:30:49 AM »
You guys are so brilliant.

Alice -- your question about how well the locker was repaired is sooooo good. It was repaired to look all right, but wasn't welded well. The locker was used to punish Russian, Polish and Ukrainian slave workers in a munitions factory during the war. It was damaged during bombings, and the slaves themselves did the repairs -- badly -- because they knew one of them could be in there next. This is relevant to the story and why Clara is being transported in the locker to begin with.  I see the locker secured to the truck with steel rings in the side of the locker and then ropes, chains or straps.

Don -- Yes! That kind of locker. Twisted sheet metal with a pin? Clara would have to pry the pins out, right? Would a fork, spoon or butter knife work? She has these with her --- She was taken prisoner while traveling, and people often carried silverware with them in case they ate on the road or the people they visited didn't have to spare.

I have photos of the locker I mean. There is no built in lock on the doors. There are two little hoops embedded into the steel so that a padlock could keep the doors closed. The hinges are actually on the *outside*.  I can change the locker to suit my needs, of course, but wanted to stick as close to the original as I can. Oh, and the locker stands on 4 little feet so it's abut 4 inches off the ground.  Anyway, I'm sure the locker is padlocked, which means no lock-picking.

ma-- Clara making noise to get the guard to react is good, I have that in my draft also. It just didn't get her anywhere.

I agree on keeping it simple, yet Clara's act, Silt.

Heidi -- how many explosions am I supposed to have? It's only chapter 4.  :D

Summary:

It looks like I should try a scenario where the locker doesn't fall off the truck, because it's too likely Clara would be badly injured if it did. Whatever happens, the guard in back has to be knocked out. It has to be quiet enough the guys in the cab don't hear anything immediately. What about if I make the hinges on the inside of the locker? She starts prying them out with a fork or knife. Not easy, because she's squeezed inside. The bottom hinge is especially hard, unless the divider inside the locker is so loose, she can push it aside to gain more room to work...  The guard is banging on the locker for her to stop. "Come in and make me," she says. She could push his buttons somehow, insults, I don't know. What would he do? They're driving through a city at night and she's make a lot of noise, but the truck engine is too. When she has both hinges out, she can swing the door open that way. With the rough ride, and on a hill, the door would swing open on its own. If the guard is standing in the right place, and Clara gets her weight behind the opening door, she could knock him clear off the truck.

I feel like I'm playing an adventure PC game.  :D
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 02:40:24 AM »
The only problem with those sort of hinges on the inside, the door would open inwards. It would be impossible for her to get in there in the first place I think. :-\

Offline Annmarie

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 04:01:38 AM »
But the door opens outwards with inside hinges too!  ???I didn't think they made lockers with outside hinges until I saw the photos. The ones I know always had inside ones. She definitely fits inside the locker -- in my photos, British soldiers squeeze inside to demonstrate what it was like for a man to be trapped there. Two men can squeeze in, one on each side of the inside divider. It's not comfortable at all, and the men can't stand up straight. Clara can, but only barely. Anyway, I think the divider has to be loose so she has room to manouver.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 05:39:16 AM »
There is one simple and plausible possibility you're all overlooking.  Perhaps by accident, perhaps from choice.  Perhaps it's a non-runner because of the rest of the story around it.  Maybe we've been focussing too much on the locker, rather than the people involved.  I know i spent a lot of time trying to figure out how she could escape from the box.

Just as in Sio's recent thread about getting a gun unseen to the victims door.  Many of us concentrated on the weapon, rather than the delivery system.  Some truly wonderful and useful information emerged, but it was peripheral to the original question Sio had asked.

i feel Clara needs to persuade the soldier to unlock the padlock.  By her own efforts and guile.  So it's not just a 'Hand of God' coincidence.  But how?

Is he young?  Bored?  Horny?  A dangerous combination. Especially if its a long and fairly slow journey.  But perhaps a little too easy.

From what I've heard about Brit soldiers in that immediate post-war era they either treated prisoners and civilians well (seeing them as poor unfortunate buggers who'd lost), or treated them - especially the women - as available commodities, as 'things' rather than people.  The non-fraternisation rules were there to protect both sides.

If the soldier on guard has the latter kind of mindset he doesn't even need to be young and susceptible.  A middle aged and cynical lower rank squaddie who treats women as if they were nothing more than a groundsheet would fit the bill quite nicely.  If she's prepared to play along a bit to get his guard down there's distinct possibilities.

Your Clara is educated I believe.  In a physical trap the smart animal uses it's brain.

I hate to say it, but the fact she may appear reluctant and unwilling beneath her surface 'willingness' would be turn-on for some men.  Desperation could  give her the necessary resolve, and he could be thoroughly enjoying the 'fact' that 'the German bitch' is living up to his expectations of a 'conquered race'.  The man who 'likes them to fight a bit' isn't just stereotype.  

I recall hearing a soldier from that era saying "The women would do anything just for a meal'.  He personally hated it, I could hear the revulsion in his voice, the awestruck horror of a proud young Scot unable to imagine ever being that desperate, but to a more predatory male a helpless female prisoner, especially if he intended bundling her back inside and locking the door to establish his 'superiority and contempt' afterwards would be temptation beyond endurance.

To fully avail himself of this seemingly helpless gift he's need both hands free, so he'd lay aside his rifle.  thje firther she lets him go, or at lest think he's getting, the more distracted he will become.

Even with a truly willing partner male minds do get a bit focussed on the one thing they're doing at such times ;-)  Chuck domination into the mix and he's soon going to forget about protecting himself.  After all, he's the superior animal isn't he?   On the winning side.  He can do what he damned well wants in the back of the truck.  No witnesses.  Not even his 'mates' to stop him.  Contempt can blind a person to many things.

Many a male underestimates a smaller woman, and you've said she's not all that big.  Some strapping great Brunhilde of a woman might get treated more like a male, trigger warning messages.  But a skinny little half-fed slip of a girl?  A mere plaything to the right sort of brute.

If Clara can use all that against him. . .

You don't need a lot of step by step physical description to make a scene like this work.  It's emotional and mental turmoil which can bring it alive.

If you decide to play with this idea you have a dark voyage into your own mind ahead as well, getting into Clara's head.  It may take a while to get back out again to yourself.  Choose a time when you won't be disturbed.

I think it was Wolfe who once wrote, if there's something you find really repugnant and personally terrifying, write about it.  Your words will be pure gold.

Best wishes,

Gyppo  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:47:55 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Annmarie

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 08:39:55 AM »
So, so, so very right, Gyppo. I hadn't thought of this. In my mind, she's in the box, and that's how I was thinking. But yes, she could get him to unlock it. She has the added caché of being an ex-elite (read: rich girl now on hard times) and a war criminal (or at least, she's seen that way by her enemy). So the male dominance/victor thing would work with the right kind of guard.

Whether Clara would do this...  Definitely. There's a sequence later in the book when she's in a deserted lodge guarded by three soldiers who *do not* fall for any flirting. But she tries. If she tries in the back of the truck and succeeds, it's logical she'd try again with the other soldiers later in the book -- but fails.

So if she gets him to open the locker, she still has to deal with him. Incapacitate him. Have to think how she could do this. She is smaller, thinner, weaker physically. But the will is there...

Thanks so much for the reminder to think outside the box, Gyppo. I'm wondering now how far she'll have to go to get this done. Dark voyage for sure.

Lin

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 11:39:08 AM »
Or how about making it easier.  Is it possible that the driver and guards abandon the truck when they see gunfire up ahead, the Brits have arrived???  This really happened to my father when transported to a prison camp during the war.  Also the Italians at the camp abandoned it when they heard the Americans were coming.

So thinking outside the box (ahem) is not a bad idea.

Lin x

Offline Annmarie

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 02:41:14 PM »
Oh, the war's over, Lin.  It's a British truck and guards and they're in their Zone. No Germans had guns anymore. Those who did were jailed or beheaded.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 03:01:44 PM »
Dealing with him, once she has his guard  down - and possibly his trousers as well, because a man is partially hobbled with trousers around his ankles  - could be the easy part.  In fact she could be surprised just how easy it is. 

Forked fingers into the eyes, then while he can't see and is just starting to react to the pain bundle him over the tailgate onto the road.  If she manoeuvres first so his back is to the tailgate before blinding him it's just the right height that he'll  easily fold backwards at the knees and with a bit of luck smack his head open on the road.

If she bales out a couple of corners later, preferably on a tighter bend when the truck will slow quite a bit, she should still be fit to run.

She may find herself obsessively wiping her fingers for a while afterwards ;-)  But she'll be free.

Yours to use, modify, or discard as you wish.  I'll leave you to work out the necessary manoeuvring.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Annmarie

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2012, 04:20:06 AM »
Gyppo, I rewrote the scene in one swoop yesterday. It works so well, I don't know why I didn't think of it a year ago. It's a horrifying, harrowing scene. Clara accidentally killing the brute soldier raises the stakes right away and has ramifications through the rest of the book.

And your reminder to think of the characters, not the obvious situation, helped me rethink another sticky situation for Jakob in the following chapter. The new idea is also much better, much more revealing of character, than the old action sequence.

So thank you!  ;D   :-*  :D

Lin

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2012, 05:25:41 AM »
Yes I did wonder why you were concentrating on the box so much.  This is why I said and Gyppo too, you have to think outside the box. Talking it through really does help doesn't it?  Sometimes you have to say 'Dong' to your head ' Why didn't I think of that before?' Well that's what friends are for eh?

Well done glad the old light came on at the end of the tunnel.  Good luck with this work it sounds very intriguing. Hope to read it one day.  A book with your name on it!  Wow!

Lin x

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 06:13:19 AM »
Magic!  Glad it worked ;-)

Gyppo