Author Topic: Escape plan  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
Re: Escape plan
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 01:46:25 PM »
Thanks for that link, wanderer. Clara isn't padded like a football player, but she is wearing a winter coat and hat, if that helps any. The key seems to be in getting her head protected, right? So no concussion, etc. She is squeezed into the locker with her backpack, so maybe that could cushion her?

Or if the locker isn't upright. It could be lying flat, so Clara is lying down. She'd have less chance to use her weight to roll with the locker. But there's more of a chance the locker'd tumble out feet first. Not sure if this'd help her.

As for a lucky fall, why not? Today there was a story in the newspaper about a kid who fell 25 feet down an old unprotected mine shaft. He landed in water. When the firemen got him, he was a little shocked and scraped up, but otherwise unhurt. What were the odds?

Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline Laura H

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »
If it's winter could the truck hit a patch of ice and flip?  The locker could be buffered by snow- protecting her somewhat.  Perhaps it's actively snowing and quickly covers the locker?

Barring that I'll vote for alien tractor beam or giant tarantula attack  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:52:42 PM by Laura H »
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »
Good thought, Laura. No snow yet, though. I have the weather reports for the region in late November 1946 (I'm such a research geek  :D) -- high winds and sleet.

Though...

Sleet can be very slippery on the right ground. The pavement is also bad, with rubble and potholes. On the other hand, army trucks aren't Fiats. They can get through a little sleet.
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 02:44:35 PM »
Yes, winter clothing should help protect her...didn't know that aspect. Miracle fall, sure it happens all the time  ;) The other question I has was the bolting of the locker to the truck. If bolted securely it might be difficult for her to 'rock' it free?
Need to see this on an episode of 'Myth Busters.'  :)

Offline Laura H

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 03:49:58 PM »
Sleet can be very slippery on the right ground. The pavement is also bad, with rubble and potholes. On the other hand, army trucks aren't Fiats. They can get through a little sleet.

Maybe the truck is tailing another vehicle which skids & spins, causing the truck to either swerve wildly or crash?
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline heidi52

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 05:24:19 PM »
Maybe the truck is tailing another vehicle which skids & spins, causing the truck to either swerve wildly or crash?

Truck crashes, flying locker kills the guard in the truck on it's way out, then lands (relatively safely) in the bushes while the truck goes over the cliff and the other two are ejected on the roll down. Whew!  ;D

Silt-2

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »
Hello

Whenever we went on exercise all the kit had to be secured(to prevent slippage and injuries) So it would be my guess the locker would have been also. From inside the locker you can jimmy the lock and get out. She could do so, surprising the guard in the back(he could have his head turned, and the door could hit him, startled he falls. The side of the road(since you mentioned steep hills could have grassy banks which could offer enough to cushion her fall(and his if you wish her to glance as him getting to his feet slowly).

Army trucks are normally diesel and loud, I doubt if, without an alarm, the boys in front would notice if she kept low and went over quickly.

The more you make her part of her own rescue, the stronger you make her, giving the reader more hope in believing her chances of survival, that's she's determined. The guard could not get up, could hit a tree and therefor silence any chance of alarm until they drivers notice at the end of their journey.

Don't put too many variables, they as too many questions.

Best writing to you, Annmarie.

Silt

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 06:20:59 PM »
Maybe she has something she can use as a a hook, such as a shoulder strap clip from her sack. Maybe manoeuvre her as best she can until she gets it attached to the inside lock. Get her to kick up a ruckuss so that the guard kicks or uses his rifle butt on the door to shut her up and that weakens the lock. The lid pops open with her pushing against it, yanking the lock and catches his shins. He topples over the side and she crawls along the back, dropping off. :-\

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »
I may be "seeing" this different from some others - but, if the locker is secured (chain or cable I would think) in the back of the truck - wouldn't that prevent her opening the locker door even if she managed to unlock the padlock on the door?

MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »
I thought she said it was bolted to the floor? As I think (yeah, do that once in a while) I coming down on the side of serious injury if the locker falls out of the truck.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 07:08:25 PM »
You got me looking back to make sure wanderer.  ;)

She said "The locker has bullet holes and schrapnel damage, dents and repaired seams. It's chained upright on the back of a covered army truck. There's an armed guard."

Now I'm wondering if the seams were repaired, how well was the job done? Was it welder just enough to temporally hold the sides together or, was it welded by one who takes pride in his work and welded well enough to last for the next century? 
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »
Sorry Alice. My mistake. Guess I got confused with another post or my mind got scrambled ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:54:52 PM by wanderer »

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 07:44:31 PM »
Swerving to avoid potholes/bomb craters might cause the truck to tip.

Driver is hit by a sniper bullet and loses control.

Roadblock on a bend. :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »
What you seem to be talking about is the old-fashioned sheet metal lockers found on every military base in the world between 1920 and 1995. Think hinges. The hinges are on the inside. They are simply twisted sheet metal with a pin.

If your MC removed the pins from the hinges, she would be able to squeeze out the "hinge" side of the door. If she caught her guard unaware (she waited until she heard him snoring) and pushed/kicked him off the open-ended military truck, the fall should kill or incapacitate him. She could then climb over the side of the truck and wait for a "safe" place to jump to freedom.
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.