Author Topic: Young Poets 10-13 competition [UK only]  (Read 1717 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Young Poets 10-13 competition [UK only]
« on: July 03, 2012, 01:30:58 AM »
http://www.creative-choices.co.uk/jobs-opportunities/details/2578

Application deadline

July 31st 2012

National poetry competition open to 10-13 year-olds

The John Betjeman poetry competition for young people is open to 10-13 year-olds until a closing date of 31st July. The judges are the poet Grace Nichols and the author and journalist Andrew Martin. The first prize is £1000 (£500 to the winner and £500 to the English department of his or her school or local library). The winning school and the school that generates the most number of entries will win poet visits. There are also Eurostar tickets and book tokens for winning entries.

Each child is invited to send in (by post or online) one poem on the theme of ‘place’. They can choose anywhere that is important to them – from their bedroom to somewhere they visited on holiday, from their favourite park to their favourite building. The subject of their poem could be a city or a garden or a beach or a street. We are asking them to capture in words what that place means to them.

Winners of the poetry competition are invited to read their poems aloud to an audience at an awards ceremony held on National Poetry Day, Thursday 4th October, on the upper concourse of St Pancras International, next to the bronze statue of Sir John Betjeman.

The competition is free to enter and online entry form can be found at our website www.betjemanpoetrycompetition.com . Poems can also be sent via the post and should be addressed to: The John Betjeman poetry competition for young people, PO BOX3770, Royal Mail, Swan Lane, Faringdon, Oxfordshire, SN7 7JB.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:17:05 AM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: Young Poets 10-13 competition
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »
I'm guessing this is UK only.
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »
Looks like it.

Established by the family of the former Poet Laureate, the John Betjeman Poetry Competition seeks to foster a love of poetry in young people.  It is our aim to support literacy and creativity, encouraging children aged 10-13 in the UK and the Republic of Ireland to explore the world they see around them through rhythm and language. This year’s competition is now open. The closing date for entries is 31st July.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
LOL. Guess that confirms it!
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.