Author Topic: Do you sell on Ebay?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
Do you sell on Ebay?
« on: September 01, 2006, 03:15:46 PM »
Was just wondering whether anybody had much success on Ebay, possibly with a business account?
I was thinking of selling my designs as prints, but I don't want to do it if it's not worth it.
It would be well handy since I'll be out of work with a baby on the way very soon.
Thanks in advance for any replies,
Lorraine

Offline Smiley

Re: Do you sell on Ebay?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 04:28:44 PM »
Hi Lorraine,

My husband buys & sells a lot on e-bay & is usually successful with it.

I'd say give it a go & test the waters, the listing fees are quite reasonable so you don't have much to lose and you can start the listing at the minimum you are prepared to accept, if you can make a go of it it'll be a great way to earn money whilst you are bringing up your baby - congratulations, by the way ;)

Go for it girl!

Smiley x  :)
Smiles make the world a happier place, share yours with a stranger it could make their day.

Offline Gltagaman

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 07:17:56 PM »
Hi Lorraine

I had a couple of clients who bought and sold books and period clothing on EBay, mostly to television and theatre producers. They made quite a successful living and I understand that they are still doing it.

My son has made modest profits buying and selling engineering books on EBay.

For a relatively small investment it can be well worthwhile. However beware of the identity frauds being made through phoney messages on Paypal.

Good luck

Geoff
Have Thinkpad will write

Offline writing is hard

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 08:01:26 PM »
I think I'm the last person alive who doesn't even have an eBay account.
Why?

OzMac

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 08:11:01 PM »
I sold a DVD on there once  ;)

Narnian Prince

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 11:11:41 PM »
   "I think I'm the last person alive who doesn't even have an eBay account."

Sorry to disappoint you, writing_is_hard, but there's still quite a few of us who refuse to bite the bullet and conform.  I know two people personally who have been victims of identity theft through transactions done over the internet and that's enough to give me the chills.

I've also personally had to send repeated requests to members of e-bay to stop sending me garbage that I don't want.  I find that most annoying.  Especially when the same material is re-sent to me with lettering reading, "WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?  AFRAID OF THE FUTURE?"  That borders on harrassment and I have indicated it on my replies.  This stops them temporarily and only makes me wish that e-bay and it's copy cats was one thing that could be banned permanently from the internet.   

However, having said that, I believe it's a personal choice and I wish all the best to those who choose to go that route.  For those of you who do choose that route, please just leave the rest of us alone is all I ask.  :)

Chris

Offline sirwin

• I am therefore I think
    • Create Your Own Ebooks Using Free Software
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 03:27:18 AM »
I used to quite regularly. It was a loft clearance exercise before a house move. I considered doing the ebay thing as a business, but I got bored with it. I couldn't be bothered with the endless trips to the post office!

Telcontar

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 05:29:05 AM »
Hi Lorraine,

I've had a bit of success on e-bay, sold a few items of jewelery. (Proper hand-made items, not the cheap tacky stuff) I'd say give it a go, but take a few precautions. First, to keep your costs down, don't use 'Reserve Price', it really bumps your listing fees up. Just start the bidding at your lowest acceptable price, and  maybe offer a 'Buy it now'.

On the security side, I'd suggest a PayPal account, connected to a bank account
that you use for e-bay only, and keep the minimum balance in this. That way if any body does get in to it, they don't get much. Use strong passwords, and don't enter any personal details you don't need to. (Some are needed to open a PayPal account)

Good luck,

Dave.