Author Topic: Just When You're Settled -- (229 words) Creative Non-Fiction  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Just When You're Settled -- (229 words) Creative Non-Fiction
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »
We get a fiver emergency credit on our key, no keypad, just a key with brass strips along one side but the warning beeps are so damned quiet you won't hear them unless you're in the same room.  I'd like a flashing light or something above the door to the understairs cupboard where the meter lives.

As someone else who tends to name household objects I like 'Leccy' having a name.  I initially thought it was a cat ;-)

Sure simplifies things and eliminates meter readers.

We still get a meter man call occasionally, perhaps twice a year.  He checks to total consumption since the last visit so they can compare it and see if you're using too much, as would happen if you had a hydroponic pot farm in the loft ;-),  or if you are periodically bypassing the meter or using one of the illegal techniques to turn it back and gain extra credit free of charge.

It's a good system as long as you keep on top of it.  The emergency fiver however is slightly more expensive electricity, at least here in southern UK, so people who regularly live within the emergency zone end up paying more.  Mum recently got a special discount/refund for being old.  They sent a letter telling us about this. It was fascinating to put twenty on the key and find 140 showing on the display.  Meant we could leave it alone for over two months.  I  marked the likely run-out date on the year planner as a reminder, but because of the lighter evenings and no heating at all we still had 40 on there when I checked.  We managed nearly three months before the warning beeps ;-)

We like the simplicity of it, and the fact there is no big quarterly bill.  If we had our way we'd pay all our bills weekly.

Gyppo    
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »
Much handier aren't they? Apparently ours will still supply emergency electricity at weekends or after midnight or something stupid . . . I don't fully understand the system, so when Leccy cries, I just feed her. There's no penalty for the 5 minimum top-up and it's still cheaper than regular meter-read electricity. ;)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »
Apparently ours will still supply emergency electricity at weekends or after midnight or something stupid

I saw that.  I think Mum's on some 'old/vulnerable list (but she wouldn't appreciate being told that) so they can't just cut her off without written warning even if we run out.  There are times when Government watchdogs do something useful rather than just barking ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 06:45:57 PM »
Thankfully! ;D

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 02:43:24 AM »
Sio, buddy, I have a question (oh eck)? I am certainly not saying you're wrong, it's just so I can understand it.

Settled beneath a comfy throw, I wriggled and squirmed on the sofa, bashed a cushion into shape until it matched my body contours. Bliss.   

Is this a parenthetical? If so if I take out the - I wriggled and squirmed on the sofa it doesn't make sense - to me anyway.

Settled beneath a comfy throw bashed a cushion into shaped until matches my body contours.

Off to read more now. ;D Sorry if it's a dim question. I am trying to learn.

Time to take it serious and get the job done

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 02:58:32 AM »
I liked this, though I think it's deffinately for a U.K. market.

I have to say I hated, hated, hated our leccy meter. We now have smart meters (new house had them built in). We still pay bills each month, but the meter sends meter readings automatically, so you never pay an estimated bill - oh and you never run out.

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 08:01:35 AM »
Yes, your'e right Dawn :) I suppose the bashing of the cushion is enough to suggest getting comfortable.. Thanks for looking . ;D ;D

I love Leccy, except when she's crying. ;)

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »
Whoopppppeeeeeeee. You mean I am learning. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. I must be if I found that in the masters work. ;D

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »
Now, now . . . there's 'aving a laugh and then there's taking the pee. ;D

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 09:36:43 AM »
I've never been as happy. Remember that hair pulling night. See I did listen. ;D ;D ;D. I will gloat for the rest of my life (Dawn says twirling and dancing around the living room).

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »
Yay! High 5 ;D

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Gloat - gloat - gloat. :D