Author Topic: New Game: New words which aren't, could be, but probably shouldn't.  (Read 866 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
I was thinking about the 'verbing' of nouns, like Google.  Then the way some words get mangled and become 'family' words which sound wrong to outsiders.

I remember my Gran asking the girl next door if her Mum, who had been rough for a weeks, was feeling any better.

"Oh no, we got the doctor out because she's much worserer."

Dear Wendy was full of things like that.  But she bounced in like a puppy with two tails when her Mum got 'betterer', then 'more betterer', and finally 'really wellified'.  I tried not to smile at the thought of her mum turning into a rubber boot.

So lets see if we can deliberately create some wrong words, with meanings.

=====

Zombier:  Noun: One who either through occult means,  genetic manipulation, or literary imagination, creates zombies.  Example:  Joe Myndhart, on this circle, is a prolific zombier.

Adjective:   Becoming, or to become, more zombie-like.  Example :  After five days without sleep or food Fred felt he was totally zombified, but by the seventh day, with hypoglycaemia adding to his problems he felt noticeably more zombier.

=====

Over to you lot.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatollie

Re: New Game: New words which aren't, could be, but probably shouldn't.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
Writer: (noun) A person or personification who writes.

Writer: (adj) to be more of or to have more qualities of a person who writes.
Example: She was producing writer writing all the time.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline heidi52

Re: New Game: New words which aren't, could be, but probably shouldn't.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »
bumpy-up verb: to deliberately insert syllables into a verse to create a syncopetic rhythm. present tense: past tense bumpy-upped.

My apologies to whoever used this is a recent crit. I really did think it was brilliant! Had to steal it.  ;D