Author Topic: Abiword?  (Read 8361 times)

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
Abiword?
« on: May 08, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
Has anyone used this at all?
I am looking for an alternative to Word (as my daft laptop win 7 doesn't have it on) I have been using open source but it keeps causing me problems.
Time to take it serious and get the job done

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
Re: Abiword?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »
I don't have any experience with it and use Open Office as my word processor....works great.

I know some people use and like: http://www.libreoffice.org/features/writer/

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »
Thanks Bill. I will check it out thanks.

Offline Catska

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »
I started using Abiword several months ago and I love it.  It came highly recommended to me and I haven't had any problems with it so far.

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:01:25 AM »
Thanks Catski. The only problem I have with it though. Is the spell checker doesn't seem to work. So I have downloaded Jarte.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 05:28:59 AM »
Thanks Catski. The only problem I have with it though. Is the spell checker doesn't seem to work. So I have downloaded Jarte.

Stick with Jarte for a while and give it a fair trial.  Unless anything in it really doesn't suit your way of thinking.  Within a couple of weeks you'll either love it or loathe it.

Use the shortcuts from the beginning if you can, they'll save you a lot of mouse-time. [CRTL B] for Bold, [CTRL] I for italic, etc.  If you're already used to these then it will be instinctive anyway.  If not this will feel cumbersome at first, but it well worth getting to grips with.

But you may find yourself trying to use Jarte shortcuts in other programmes, such as when posting here ;-)

If you take to it, using it at the basic 'as provided' level, let yourself explore some of the advanced features one at a time as you become more familiar with it.  Allowing yourself to learn the extras only as and when needed, rather than plunging straight into the depths,  will accelerate comfortable familiarity with the essentials.

Jarte's spellchecker doesn't hang around.  The first few times I used it I missed the little box telling me it was finished and sat here like a lemon, waiting for it to find something else ;-)

Have fun.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:31:24 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 05:45:27 AM »
Thanks Gypo.
I had a good playlook last night and it is really quite fun. ;) The only thing I don't get it this hot button malarky for when your on emails. Any ideas?

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 06:56:02 AM »
May I suggest you leave the 'hot connect' alone for a while.  I've been playing with it off and on and sometimes it seems to get lost.  Probably me hitting the wrong keys.  But when it works it's like magic.

There's something in the help files about 'hot connect' not being fully compatible with some versions of windows, although there is a work-round.  I had it working perfectly, but seem to have lost it again for now.  I'll solve the mystery when I'm not too busy.  If you figure it out first please share the secret ;-)

In the meantime you can just cut and paste between Jarte and email as long as both programmes are open.

For anyone else considering switching to Jarte please don't read a major problem into this conversation. It's just a minor glitch in one of the 'extras'.  Useful but not essential.

Gyppo

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:06:34 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »
I will do Gypo. The only problem is, I am one of these people that if it states don't press, I want to press it. ;)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
I understand.  As a compulsive toucher of wet paint.  Well, just because it was wet when the notice was put there doesn't mean it still is.

Don't take up a career in bomb disposal ;-)

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:13:23 AM »
 ;D ;D I do that. ;D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »
Alfiemama:  I've sorted out the routine for using Jarte's 'hot connect' with my email, but it doesn't want to play nicely with the circle yet.  I've done it in the past though.  So something is just slightly adrift.  It was before I temporarily lost my novel, so probably just a setting somewhere got changed when that glitch happened.

Anyway, here as a straight cut and paste are the instructions for using it with email.  If you try these to post on the circle and it works for you then it will confirm my opinion that I've just misplaced a setting.

=====

The best way to test this utility is to send a message or two to yourself first.  That way there's no embarrassment or nuisance to others  if you cock it up.

Please note the message you type in Jarte will be plain text and look very basic.  When it transfers to the mail programme or wherever it will follow the rules you have set for mail font and size.

Here we go.

This is a test of hot connect to Outlook Express.

First, open the programme to which you wish to 'Hot Connect.  For this example, we will be sending an email from Outlook Express.

Set up the recipient's e-dress and subject line, just as if you were sending an ordinary email.  Then move the cursor to the body of the email, just as if you were about to start typing in the box.  (Unless you really want to fill the subject line with the body text, which does seem rather unlikely.

Now press [Alt f7] to trigger Hot Connect.  A blank document will open in Jarte, with 'Hot Connect' written in the tab at the top.

Type your message.  If you want you can paste in all sorts of text from elsewhere at this point.  (I've not tried adding pictures yet.)  Do any spellchecking etc until you are happy with your message.

Now press [CTRL S]  This will 'save' the hot connect message to Outlook (or whatever you are using).

Outlook will reopen with the message installed, and all you need to do is [send] it.

Once the message has gone [CTRL S] reverts to being an ordinary save command, so you can save the message if you wish by giving it a name just like any other piece of work.   After this you can click the 'x' on the 'Hot Connect' tab to get rid of the temporary message.

=====

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 01:50:04 PM »
   Alfiemama:  I now have it working into MWC, as long as I click [save] on the drop down menu.  But it doesn't work when I use my preferred [CTRL S] shortcut

One step nearer to solving the mystery.

It really must be some minor setting.  But I'm going to give it best for now as I have some lamb steaks to grill.  Apart from which I've been sat at the screen too damned long.  I have a numb bum, but the exercise of rampaging around in the kitchen should cure that. 

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »
Thanks Gypo. Okay I have tried using bt internet as I don't use Outlook. So I'm thinking, it will be the same as MWC. Tried CTRL S and nothing, tried to use save in drop down but it comes up on mine as save as ??? So not sure now, why mine is different?

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »
Thanks Gypo. Okay I have tried using bt internet as I don't use Outlook. So I'm thinking, it will be the same as MWC. Tried CTRL S and nothing, tried to use save in drop down but it comes up on mine as save as ??? So not sure now, why mine is different?

I've mailed tech support at Jarte.  I'll let you know their answer.