Author Topic: Need a publisher?  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Bookkus

• Come be a reviewer
    • Bookkus Publishing
Need a publisher?
« on: May 06, 2012, 01:08:42 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I am William from Bookkus Publishing.

Bookkus Publishing is currently looking for manuscripts for it's launch in late August/September and also looking for authors to dialogue with in order to ensure our service is catered for authors needs.

Bookkus Publishing is a independent full service book publishing company with non-traditional methods for marketing and acquisition. Bookkus Publishing uses a community to choose which books get published and which books not to publish. This allows us to get real readers to review books and ensures we do not miss amazing books that readers do want to read. The community also allows us to get word out about the books earlier than publication.

For books that do not get published we offer feedback and suggestions for change based on the communities answers.

For books that are published we edit, book cover, market, and get your book into the hands of readers in anyway possible. We use some non-traditional methods that are not common among authors these days.

Submitting a manuscript is no charge and there are no fees anywhere.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Sincerely,

William
Bookkus Publishing
http://www.bookkus.com/im-an-author
-William
Marketing Manager
Come read, review, and choose the books to publish.
Bookkus Publishing

Offline Bookkus

• Come be a reviewer
    • Bookkus Publishing
Re: Need a publisher?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:53:25 PM »
Also,

We do want to dialogue with some authors about the whole publishing process to get your opinion on it all. If you are interested come to the website, register, and send a PM to 'William'. Thanks.

Sincerely,

William
Bookkus Publishing
http://www.bookkus.com/im-an-author/
-William
Marketing Manager
Bookkus Publishing

Lin

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:00:59 AM »
It would be helpful if you would put a copy of your contract on the web site as some publishers have done. 

Lin

Offline Bookkus

• Come be a reviewer
    • Bookkus Publishing
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »
Hello Lin,

What part of the contract would you like to know about? Below are some basics.

We plan on giving our authors 50/50 after distribution costs for ebook and paperback. For example, retail $10, amazon $3.00, You get $3.50, we get $3.50.  From our online store that is $5 and $5.
Creative input into the cover, back of the book, dedications, is all accepted and welcome. We want to both work together to make it work.
If book sales fall below 500 after the second year you may cancel the contract.

Let me know what else you need.

-William
Bookkus Publishing
www.bookkus.com
-William
Marketing Manager
Bookkus Publishing

Lin

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 10:13:20 AM »
I think you need to put the full contract on the web site for all to see.  This seems to be a great idea if you want to create trust.  Your clients need time to peruse a contract, get some legal advice and especially for those who have never been published before, they need time to consider.  I see Leap of Faith Publishing have put a full contract on their site. Do a Google search.  

We also need to know where your staff are coming from in the world of publishing. Who are you and what are your credentials?  Have you published before?  All this creates confidence.  Don't tell me all this - tell your clients.

Lin x

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 05:43:20 PM »
I think you need to put the full contract on the web site for all to see.  This seems to be a great idea if you want to create trust.  Your clients need time to peruse a contract, get some legal advice and especially for those who have never been published before, they need time to consider.  I see Leap of Faith Publishing have put a full contract on their site. Do a Google search.  

We also need to know where your staff are coming from in the world of publishing. Who are you and what are your credentials?  Have you published before?  All this creates confidence.  Don't tell me all this - tell your clients.

Lin x

Lin, What other publisher puts a copy of their contract on the web for potential clients to view?

A contract for one client may well be vastly different to the one drafted for another. So much would depend on the writer's ability, experience and previous publishing credits. I doubt it could be a "one fits all" type of thing. It could also vary depending on the genre.

As has often been said here and on various other web sites dedicated to writers, it's up to each of us to check out publisher we may be interested in for ourselves.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:47:16 PM by Alice, a Country Gal »
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Lin

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 03:50:02 AM »
Hi Alice & William

The point is that some publishers are now putting their contracts on the site to aid confidence in the company. Having a copy of their contract is most informative. It gives you the chance to read it so you know what you are going into before you send your submission.  If you do get chosen you will already have read the contract and know more about the company beforehand.  A very useful aid for new writers too. I think it's an excellent idea.

A note to Bookkus - Your offer sounds good. I wish books were that cheap in Holland where I live!  You pay around $20 for a paperback at the local bookstore. Despite all my rantings I do sincerely wish you the best with the new company, but I was put off by your questions and your typos in the messages about editing.    - I'm a bit of a Sir Alan Sugar at heart!  

Lin

Mak

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 06:34:33 AM »
Do you publish only books? I would like to sell eBooks with full rights. Is it possible here?

Offline Bookkus

• Come be a reviewer
    • Bookkus Publishing
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 07:30:42 AM »
Thanks Lin,
I wasn't sure if you did like it or not. We will be treating out authors really well and hope to satisfy everyone.

Hello Mak,
I'd be willing to talk about your specific situation send me an email with more details. general (at) bookkus.com

-William
Bookkus Publishing
www.bookkus.com
-William
Marketing Manager
Bookkus Publishing

Offline Laura H

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
I think your approach is very intriguing.  Best wishes for a successful launch :)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Bookkus

• Come be a reviewer
    • Bookkus Publishing
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 01:52:15 AM »
Thanks Laura! Spread the word!
-William
Marketing Manager
Bookkus Publishing

Offline Laura H

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
I think we just did!
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

Offline Bookkus

• Come be a reviewer
    • Bookkus Publishing
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »
I got thanked for my update before so I figured it is a good idea.

We have received over 40 manuscripts and we are ecstatic that authors are willing to work with us. Our plans in the future are finding our editors and getting everything ready for going live in September. It's going to be really exciting with some awesome promotions.

Keep in touch!
-William
Marketing Manager
Bookkus Publishing

Offline Laura H

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »
Sounds good - now, to finish that manuscript  :-\

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 01:48:34 PM »
June . . . July . . . August . . .

:o OMG!  :o

SEPTEMBER

It'll fly! ;) ;)