Author Topic: I hope not...  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: I hope not...
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 07:21:31 PM »
I never knew there were different WP programs available ???

For myself I've always liked(used) MS word

There's a whole stack of them out there.  Some better than others.  MS word is an excellent programme if you like it and if it suits you.   So is 'Writer' from the Open Office suite.  (I never took to it, despite much trying.)

There are some older writers out there who still prefer relatively ancient programmes like WordPerfect or AbiWord, because they were the ones they used when they were making the transition from typewriters.

WPs are a bit like shoes or gloves.  Anything the right size will fit and be usable.  But some will 'feel' more natural, more suited to the way your own mind works than others, and when they're more comfortable you can get more done.  Others will feel like using a pencil with a hinged joint in the middle.  You'll be able to make the letters alright, but you'll always be waiting for the joint to give way and mess things up.  The programme should never come between you and what you're writing, which is why a 'good fit' can make so much difference.

I used to swear by a programme called EditPadPro, (I wrote around quarter of a million words using that, but Jarte became my 'good fit' after about three days of experimentation, and then saw me through 60,000 words in not much over twenty days.  We became a working team ;-)

It really is a case of 'horses for courses'.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »
USB drive like this Gyppo??

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »
Pretty much, except mine's anonymous and only 4G.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 07:39:44 PM »
I have a model  exactly  the same as shown below. I take lots of pictures with my phone and then transfer everything from the SD card to the computer...

Oh, and since my CD player has a USB slot I also have music on it..

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »
Glad to hear it turned up safe and sound and as advertised Gyp.  :D
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 08:42:14 PM »
Useful litle things aren't they?

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 08:50:05 PM »
I carry one with me all the time Gyp. Mine has a lanyard on it, can slip it around may neck and its not visible and doesn't get damaged.

Handy when working on other computers in my case anyway.
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 09:25:51 PM »
The new one doesn't have a cord yet, but it will.  'Medallion Man' with a cyber-twist ;-)

It's great to have it set up as a 'portable device' with my familiar writing programme ready to go.  I don't have to mess around with someone else's unfamiliar system.  Just slot in the little thumb drive and their computer behaves as if it were mine at home.  It acts like some of the old floppy disc systems, where all the working programmes and everything you saved were on the discs, with nothing 'living' in the computer.  Some people find this a bit scary, but when I tell them it saves absolutely nothing on their machine they seem quite relieved.  But I bet some of them still run virus and malware checkers as soon as I'm out of sight.

Gyppo