Author Topic: Does anyone have a subscription to the magazine The Barefoot Writer?  (Read 57152 times)

Farren Square

If anybody has a subscription to the magazine The Barefoot Writer, is it legit? Why/why not?

Does anybody have a subscription to anything similar? Are they helpful?  ??? ???

Wolfe

Re: Does anyone have a subscription to the magazine The Barefoot Writer?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:16:22 AM »
It's ran by American Writers and Artists Inc. under that piece of scum Michael Masterson. His real name is Mark Ford, and he gets family members to write positives and endorsements to sell his garbage. Does that answer your question?

But, if you're in doubt:

http://www.friendsinbusiness.com/board1/index.cgi/noframes/read/126595

http://www.ripoffreport.com/adult-career-continuing-education/american-writers-art/american-writers-artists-ins-pd2a3.htm

http://www.friendsinbusiness.com/board1/index.cgi/noframes/read/158111

But, feel free to Google American Writers and Artists Inc. scam and see for yourself.

The last time this came up, Mr. Ford, disguised under a different name, appeared here to defend his business practices. Hopefully, we won't have a repeat performance of that three-ring circus of excuses. Yes, you'll find puppet sites that claim otherwise. They'll tell you it's legit, sing their praises, and other nonsense. You can take it from me . . . anything associated with AWAI is questionable at best or an outright thievery at worst.

Buyer beware.

Edit: If you're interested in technique and the like, I recommend Writer's Digest. They'll steer you right.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:33:29 AM by Wolfe »

Wolfe

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 01:47:02 AM »
Major in journalism. Minor in either creative writing, English, or something along those lines. Double-major if possible. Journalism will teach your to write tight, on a deadline, as clearly as possible, and to self-edit. It'll also be a fallback while you work on a future career as an author. Finally, journalism is a huge boost toward a query letter or proposal. Try to get as many awards as you can while gaining experience.

Journalism also allows you to choose to go into print or media. Do both if you can. If you choose English, or anything else in the 'writing' field, you're going to find your choices are extremely limited and you'll face unreal competition. Unless you go the teacher route, but that has its own downfalls.

Trust me . . . journalism . . . if you intend toward writing as a career later. Hint: networking and experience.

Just my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:10:37 AM by Wolfe »

Offline MindyMcHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »
If anybody has a subscription to the magazine The Barefoot Writer, is it legit? Why/why not?

Does anybody have a subscription to anything similar? Are they helpful?  ??? ???

Hi Farren,

I'm happy to testify for that publication!

Quick disclaimer: I'm the editor of the digital magazine, The Barefoot Writer. And I can tell you firsthand that we pour every ounce of writing and marketing know-how into each issue so our subscribers get the best info possible for launching careers as paid, professional writers.

The parent company behind The Barefoot Writer is AWAI, or American Writers & Artists Inc. Everything I learned about writing for profit came from AWAI materials and events. And the people who run the company are genuinely committed to helping others achieve their writing dreams.

If you ever have any doubts about AWAI, I urge you to read this article:Link Removed.

And if you'd like to know more about the real writers whose lives have indeed been changed by the knowledge they gained from AWAI, please go here: Link Removed.

Keep in mind, this club, and the company behind it, indeed give writers the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to make a living writing. But it's up to us as writers to stick with it, plow through our own doubts, and persevere through any challenges.

Once you do all that ... I guarantee it's beyond worth it.

By the way, I also subscribe to Writer's Digest and The Writer Magazine -- both are great.

Please send any other questions my way, and have a happy New Year!

Best,
Mindy

Modified to remove links in order to comply with our guidelines.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:42:45 PM by Alice, a Country Gal »

Wolfe

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 06:15:23 PM »
(chuckle) Ms. McHorse should also mention that The Barefoot Writer promises you a six or seven figure income while you laze on the beach. All you must do is send her and her people $99.00 a year, and they'll explain all the secrets you too can know to make it big, big, BIG!

It's a rags to riches story!

Seriously, you don't have to believe me on this zombied thread. All you need to do is type Ms. McHorse's name and the word 'scam' with it.

You'll clue in very quickly.

Now, seriously, I have writing to do. Quit trying to sneak under the radar while you think I'm away. Not clever.  :)

heidi52

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 06:22:33 PM »
Hi Wolfe
I didn't get any hits when I googled her name and scam, so curious what you know about them.
Do you have a link explaining the scam?

Wolfe

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 06:26:58 PM »
http://www.friendsinbusiness.com/board1/index.cgi/noframes/read/126595

Also, if you look, you'll find that Ms. McHorse goes around and posts one or two messages defending the site or sites.

Remember, it's part of AWAI.

Here's another one from Writer Beware: http://www.facebook.com/WriterBeware/posts/10150393416852458

Choose wisely where you spend your money.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:32:58 PM by Wolfe »

Offline MindyMcHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 06:33:56 PM »
Hi folks,

Look, the truth of the matter is that AWAI taught me key writing skills and marketing skills that I then used to go out and land my own paying clients. I've been working as a professional writer for over five years now. I love every minute of it, so I'm incredibly grateful to the company that gave me such a great start in the industry.

Meaning yes, if I see someone trying to tear them down, I will defend them. And I'll do it truthfully. I've been to their events, I've gone through their programs, and I've met their staff. I'm not basing my opinions on what I read on the Internet, it's based on my real life experience.

I've also met other writers who make six figures a year, and handful who make seven figures. It's certainly not the majority, but it is a reality. And I met these individuals at AWAI events. They're charismatic, interesting professionals who followed their dreams to write, and they've done a fine job making a living at it.

I wish anyone who shares a similar dream the best of luck!

Mindy

Wolfe

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 06:48:47 PM »
There is a saying in this business: Money flows toward the writer . . . not away. If any site, person, or publication requires you to pay in order for you to be a success, I suggest you think carefully before you part with your money.

I've provided links, statements, and factual experience from those who have dealt with her and AWAI. Ms. McHorse provides her opinion and fiery rhetoric on why she defends her peers and practices.

I have absolutely zero gain or reason to 'tear down' her company. But, she has many reasons to defend it and its continued income.

You, my peers here on My Writers Circle, need to decide for yourselves what makes more sense. Someone who's been telling you how the business works since 2008 on this site?

For free.

Or someone who necro'ed a thread from April of last year with the obvious agenda of defending her practices, with two posts to her name, and no introduction to speak of.

For pay.

In the meantime, I must return to my writing in order to see my X-figure income. I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:02:26 PM by Wolfe »

Offline McWawa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 09:00:58 PM »
Here's a link to a Forum with a thread which runs over a period of years covering this set up, where you can keep yourself busy for hours reading about AWAI, Micheal Masterson, American Media Group, Agora publsihing , with posters' experiences and own investigations.

Here's a quote from one writer :

Quote: "The truth is, this weak correspondence/home study course will not prepare you to compete with others who have master's degrees in business and marketing and universities around the world are cranking such graduates out by the hundreds of thousands each year.

There is a new book coming out later this year ( edit: 2007 ? )entitled Copy Crooks which highlights AWAI and the Michael Masterson’s copywriting course as prime examples of direct marketing scam.

I've only seen part of the introduction and part of the table of contents, but it looks devastating. It “dissects him like a frog in a biology lab.”

And with the success of the copywriting course, they branched into other areas like travel writing, resume writing, etc. AWAI operates out of a dinghy little building on a side street in Delray Beach in Florida. If you ever visited the place, you'd never buy a thing from them.

And Michael Masterson isn't even the guys real name. It's Mark Ford and he uses testimonials from other family members so sell his products. It's all pretty shameless. " /unquote
Source:-

Links removed

also:

Links removed

I never did succumb to the temptation AWAI , yet have had experience with Agora and read of their financial reports. I keep my distance.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:29:35 PM by Alice, a Country Gal »
"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna

Offline RJames28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 04:23:30 AM »
I am a member of the The Barefoot Writer's Club. I am not being paid to write this, but I am writing now because I am deeply disturbed by the misinformation and malicious posting on this thread by people who are NOT members of the Club.

AWAI is the parent of the Club and produces their magazine, but Mark Ford has essentially been retired for at least 2 or more years. It seems some people are using extremely old information to smear Mr. Ford (aka pen name Michael Masterson). And, they are using that old grudge to smear a magazine which is produced by honest, hardworking writers who ARE making a living as Barefoot Writers.

Putting aside the attacks on Mark Ford and addressing the initial question: The Barefoot Writer's Club is a group of freelance writers who support each other. The magazine is published monthly and contains about 42 or so pages of in-depth articles about different opportunities to make money writing. Not job listings, but detailed, step-by-step info on how a person would start in that writing arena and how they could make money. A different niche or opportunity is focused on each month. There are interviews with freelancers who have decades of experience and awards to prove their authenticity. There are columns on how to become a better writer, how to find clients, how to succeed in a freelance business, tools used by writers, and inspirational interviews with REAL people (average people) who've succeeded and how they did it.

I have been a freelancer for 20 years now. I've made over $100,000 per year for at least half of those years, writing from my home office. I like reading about new electronic tools or programs that I wouldn't spend the time researching. I also like being in contact with others, because writing from home can be isolating every so often. I know many other "Barefoot Writers" who have also made a living from home, and they are all decent folks. Most want to be home with their kids, got tired of the corporate life, got laid off, needed a more flexible schedule, etc. I know people as young as 24 making money writing, and as old as 82. They are from U.S. and Canada, or expats who've moved to nice climates!

The freelance writer lifestyle is real. I've seen people with all different backgrounds do it, all ages and sizes. I'm sorry but it seems some people on this thread have a "sour grapes/it can't be done" attitude, but that doesn't change the fact that people like me have been freelancing successfully for a long time. I'm 'barefoot' right now, and happy to be part of that Club. It CAN be done, but not by the Doubting Thomases of the world. I wish people would save their disdain for something they have actual, personal knowledge of. I have personal knowledge of The Barefoot Writer's Club, and I'm proud to support it.

RJ

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 05:15:11 AM »
So the 'undead thread' rises from its grave again?  Exhumed after nearly ten months.

It does seem a little odd that a newcomer to our circle dug that far back into the archives to make writing about it their first post.

Just saying.

Can I hear the clopping of distant hooves?   Is Mindy McHorse going to join us as well? 

My personal opinion is that this thread would best be locked by the moderators.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:21:54 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline RJames28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 05:24:58 AM »
I was up researching for a client project and stumbled across this post. I'm sorry if that's suspicious, but as I do belong to that Barefoot Writer's Club, and know several people who've had articles appear in there, I was motivated to join and comment. To be honest, I'm concerned you are digging at me for joining? A bit like the scene from Legally Blonde ... "at least if you showed up at a rush party, I'd be polite."

Offline fire-fly

• Global Moderator
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 05:39:47 AM »
Yep it is time to lock it. Old threads can't be re-opened after three months in our guidelines.
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D