Author Topic: You get the chance to lead a double life. What do you do?  (Read 1826 times)

Offline mfarraday

You get the chance to lead a double life. What do you do?
« on: April 04, 2012, 05:19:14 PM »
ok so in my next story idea, a man finds a wallet on the ground, tries to return it, but the man in the driver's license is deceased.

he starts to lead a double life. the ID happens to look enough like the MC to just get by.

what would you do if you could live a double life for a limited time?

would you spend all the money in that person's bank account, if there were no legal or moral consequences?

actually, maybe that will be the conflict in my story, the impending consequences.

would you start a new identity? where would you go to do this? why would you want to start over?

just ruminating.

M.
Thinking back on old days...

Offline Laura H

Re: You get the chance to lead a double life. What do you do?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
That reminds me a bit of the Tom Ripley character in Patricia Highsmith's novels.  He assumed the identity of someone, then later killed him. 

It's an interesting story concept.  A good "impending consequence" might be a relative popping up when the mc thought there were none.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline mfarraday

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 05:32:57 PM »
aha! that's great. thanks for the idea. i wanted this to be flash fic, but it just might have to be longer than that....hmm...

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 05:42:06 PM »
Assume the identity, take the money, and then find out he is wanted by the police and the drug cartel ???

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »
And is scheduled for trans gender realignment too! Everyone is expecting him to change. :o

Offline mfarraday

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:44:29 PM »
and he ends up on the run? hmm........ ;)

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 09:44:29 PM »
A be-careful-what-you-wish-for parable.
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline mfarraday

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 12:28:29 AM »
My daughter (6 years old) mentioned that the wallet could be magical.

what if the wallet took the person to an alternate universe, where they really DID assume that identity? crazy.

Offline Laura H

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 07:00:09 AM »
Ah, now you have a sci-fi thriller.  Lovely!
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:06:43 PM »
I once found a driving licence and handed it in at the cop shop.  The earnest young policeman, probably doing his first ever stint at the lost property desk,  took down my name and address and blandly told me that if no-one claimed it within six weeks it would be mine.

I don't doubt a more experienced policeman wouldn't have handed it over if I had attempted to claim it, but I've often wondered.  It was only a provisional licence but I could have used it as proof to open a spare bank account, etc.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline mfarraday

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 12:12:05 PM »
i think it would be fun to run away to a different city and open some accounts with the info in someone's wallet. and start life over!

the only problem is where to get the money for the bank accounts!

Offline ed

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »
ok so in my next story idea, a man finds a wallet on the ground, tries to return it, but the man in the driver's license is deceased.

he starts to lead a double life. the ID happens to look enough like the MC to just get by.

what would you do if you could live a double life for a limited time?

would you spend all the money in that person's bank account, if there were no legal or moral consequences?

actually, maybe that will be the conflict in my story, the impending consequences.

would you start a new identity? where would you go to do this? why would you want to start over?

just ruminating.
M.

Look at the movie "catch me if you can" some good ideas there

Offline mfarraday

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 01:11:34 PM »
ah yes - i've seen that - good idea. :)

Offline Laura H

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 01:39:42 PM »
Look at the movie "catch me if you can" some good ideas there

And that was based on a true story!

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 04:17:22 PM »
One of the dangers of taking over someone else's identity, as opposed to creating a totally fictitious one, is that the person may have outstanding arrest warrants against their name which you can have no idea about.

The police stop you for some mundane little thing like a broken or flickering rearlight, ask for your licence as a matter of course, run it through the computer, and voila, you're knicked for something you didn't even do.  You then have the problem of explaining that you are not the man on the licence.

It's far harder to prove you're not someone than to prove you are.  If the criminal has been printed or DNA'd then you're in the clear, but there's plenty of other stuff they can get you for.

Here in the UK you can call yourself anything you like, as long as it's not done for illegal purposes.

Gyppo 

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1