Author Topic: Need Advice on Childrens Book  (Read 2091 times)

Offline prophetcharlesb

Need Advice on Childrens Book
« on: January 31, 2006, 11:34:58 PM »
I just finished my first childrens book and need to know about the pictures for the pages and cover. One of my daughters is an aspiring artist but she doesnt want to do aniimals. So I need to know do you use clipart or do printers have picture layouts? Editing is going on now (by my wife) but I dont think it will be over 25 or 30 pages. Its for the age group of kids that cant read yet. Boy do I remember those days of reading them childrens books. Oh well, anyway, any suggs??
"A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life"

christopher morley

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
Re: Need Advice on Childrens Book
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 04:44:00 AM »
Hello there,

Are you planning on self-publishing? In which case, you can choose your own artist and use your own 'ideas', of course.

If you are planning to send your book to publishers or agents, however, they all have their own artists and illustrators and do NOT like receiving books with illustrations UNLESS they're your own (i.e. that you are both author and illustrator) - that's how it works for fiction picture books anyway - I don't know about non-fiction.

In other words - if you like your story, then already when you've finished editing you can start sending it out (be careful with formatting and presentation) - the rest of the work will be done for you. If you have someone in mind to illustrate, then you'd need to go the self-publishing route - but it'll still be lots and lots of fun!!!

Best of luck - keep the questions coming ...

Symphony

p.s. Is your book fiction/non-fiction? What age group are you targetting?
p.p.s. This is just me being nosey!!!!!   ;D

Lin

Re: Need Advice on Childrens Book
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 04:53:45 AM »
Sorry to keep going on about how good Suzie is, but I happen to know she is a graphic artist and recently sent me information on her work - it looks really good.  You could ask her about this.

Lin