Author Topic: What's your decorating style?  (Read 4321 times)

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
What's your decorating style?
« on: August 29, 2006, 03:11:48 PM »
When you come to decorating a room in your house, or indeed the whole house, what style do you tend to go for? What colours inspire you most?

I'm a lover of minimalist with arty black and white photos hanging in frames on the wall. nice natural shades, browns, creams, black, white.

maybe your taste is a bit warmer, cosier, traditional.. or you love colder designs.. does your preference reflect your personality?

Offline lee_chick

Re: What's your decorating style?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 03:19:39 PM »
I love rich deep colours and textures, mostly reds, purples, greens and blues.  I have tons of old Paris street scenes and such covering my walls (and my office at work).  I definitely think this reflects my personality, or at least the personality I like to believe I have...
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

http://conversationswithacat.blogspot.com/

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 04:53:03 PM »
I like a mixture of things, and it depends on the building as well.  Our last house was Georgian (2 up 2 down) grade II listed, and so I really tried to emphasis the natural characteristics of the house (exposing Cotswold stone, iron fireplace, chevron flooring -- and because of the colours of the stone and the brick, the paint was a mixture of drak red and cream).  The house we're in now was built in the 70s, so the decor is much more modern.  I still try to keep to natural materials for some things (limestone tiles in the bath, oak flooring), but the design overall is more minimalist (although we do have an ornate oriental carpet that has lived in both homes)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Milysmic

• My boy
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »
I'm with leechick, Lots of deep warm colors. My home has alot of paintings I did myself (don't ask, I really do suck.) I love my home to be cozy and safe. My bathrooms are the oppisite, very crisp, clean rooms with whites and silvers.
Milysmic

Offline allyrose

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 07:53:25 PM »
I like warm and cosy.  Green is my main colour.  Everyone says my home is welcoming, just the way I want it to feel.  Lots of comfortable furniture.  I think it depicts my personality.

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 03:34:45 AM »
Hmmm.... what colour is 'chaos'?  That's my house!

Carrie

Offline Angeleyes

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 04:49:25 AM »
Ooohh, this is just up my street at the minute because I'm re-decorating 3 bedrooms!! I have given up my big bedroom for the two girls. They need more space than me!

Downstairs I have a minimalist look, very similar to you lorraineofkeli. Creams, browns and chocolate, with a few white framed pictures.

But upstairs I like a bit of colour, so my bedroom is now, one deep red wall and three magnolia. My son, (aged 13) likes the colours downstairs, so has had the same in his bedroom. But the girls have had vibrant pink and lilac on the walls. They are into 'Groovy Chick', which also has the same colours. 

May all your dreams come true.

Whether you think you can, or think you can't....you're right!
-Henry Ford.

Offline go.dot

• feeling strange again
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 05:20:12 AM »
Welcome to my abode, please come in and make yourself uncomfortable.

Matt grey metallic walls with stencilled letters and numbers to indicate some arbitrary level, metallic grid walkways that you don't know what's underneath as it's so dark below, but it sounds deep from the reverberant clang of each footstep. flickering neon lights and occasional drips of rusty water from pipes running along the ceiling. Doors are heavy and metallic and slide apart when you touch an illuminated keypad. Occasional corridors have very large windows, giving views into laboratories with tiled floors and dentist chairs. There are first aid kits, weapons and ammuniton all over the place and of course a locker room.

Look out, it's a Zombie!
kthanxbai

Offline CarrieSheppard

• My blog pages
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 12:16:16 PM »
I think I've been to your house Go.dot...  (are we waiting for you?  ;D)

Carrie

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 12:57:18 PM »
My style is simple, but functional. We are moving soon, but our current house has walls painted in different colours for each room - living room blue one wall, white the other, hall, stairs and upstairs landing blue, to match the living room. Bedroom is lavendar and the rest of the house (bathroom, study - we only have 5 rooms) is white. We have a few pictures on the walls, mostly posters from my favourite island retreat - Lundy, and some that we have taken ourselves of various other places.

June
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline Milysmic

• My boy
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 12:59:47 PM »
Go.dot your house sounds very scary, No I won't be spending the night.
Milysmic

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 04:11:56 PM »
Guess I’d have to say lorraineofkeli, I prefer the minimalist look too. But I like warm, strong colours. For instance, I’ve painted the two opposing walls in my living room a deep terracotta while the remaining two are a very pale oatmeal, thick wood furniture and wooden floor completing the picture. ( I LOVE real wood. ;D) I have very few ornaments (Less to dust and I hate the blinking things >:() but hubby and kids…

My kitchen is terracotta too (Ooops, seeing a trend here ::)) but, as it’s rather small, I’ve again used two colours: the deeper one for the bottom, a lighter, almost apricot tone, for the top. In between I have a… yes, you’ve guessed it… a double WOODEN dado rail, inset with the same terracotta tiles that I have over my sink, cooker and cupboards. (Don’t think I’ll mention here the terracotta and cream tiles on the floor! :-\)

Kids bedrooms were always done in bright, primary colours, usually, reds, blues and yellows (blame having a painter/decorator for a husband here) but now that my eldest is 19 AND a painter/decorator himself, he does his own room – minimalist (just like his momma ;D) – at the moment it’s brown and cream with stencils of sun’s, moons and dragons but who knows what tomorrow will bring? :o

Bathrooms, like  Milysmic, I like to keep in clean, sharp colours – aquamarine and navy in one, and white, with red border tiles and accessories, for emphasis 8), in the other. 8)

CATHY C
Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX

deathblackfox

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 04:19:07 PM »
I'm more of a Gothy look! My parents don't like it that much but oh well it's my room!

Offline CarrieSheppard

• My blog pages
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 04:32:08 PM »
Less to dust and I hate the blinking things ) but hubby and kids…

Cathy, are you saying you dust the children?

I'm more of a Gothy look

Go for it DBF, if you can't do it now, you'll look a complete idiot when you are 72....

Carrie

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 06:30:41 PM »
Less to dust and I hate the blinking things ) but hubby and kids…

Cathy, are you saying you dust the children?

Only when I have to take them out Carrie. ;D

CATHY C
Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX