Author Topic: Competitions, don't you just love?  (Read 373 times)

Offline RJLester

• View Profile
Competitions, don't you just love?
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:04:42 AM »
Don't you just love those adverts for "win this or that" Free to enter, but you still have to send a zillion product labels or whatever?
And what is with the competitions on the MWC, requiring $15 or some other amount , for the privilege of entering?
Also, if there are far too many rules or there is a 10 page document of 'fine print', then why bother.
Finally, the ones that really get up my nose, are the phone in or text us competitions. Remember those dodgy ones that were on UK TV channels not so long ago?
Rant over, another cup of coffee anyone?

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • View Profile
    • Alice's Hide Away
Re: Competitions, don't you just love?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 03:38:41 PM »
And what is with the competitions on the MWC, requiring $15 or some other amount , for the privilege of entering?

RJL, just so you and others understand, we allow others to post their contests here because some member enjoy them. And for the record, all of the writing contest do not require an entry fee despite the fact that many do. How else are they to sustain their offers of cash prizes.

On top of that, we go on faith that everyone here has the know-how as well as the intelligence to read the requirement carefully and make up their own mind if this, that or the other contest is one for them.

I understand you are exaggerating  (there is a 10 page document of 'fine print') to make your point. I just wanted to be sure everyone understands we allow various writing sites for members to check out for themselves.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 05:16:23 PM »
Locally run by member contests have no entry fee, and the prize is you get to run the next one yourself. But it is fun to write outside your comfort zone and see how your efforts compare to others here at the site.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline RJLester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:55:53 AM »
Looks like I may well have ruffled a few feathers. This was not my intention, merely exercising the same free speech we all cherish.
When I really get annoyed, I usually do it Mano to Mano; face to face, sort of sabres at dawn if you will.
However, I must acknowledge the good advice about the freedom of choice. As soon as I see an entry fee, I click off that posting.
Besides their are far too many more exciting contributions from my peers on this wonderful MWC site to bother with the others!