Author Topic: Pointing the proverbial finger  (Read 3163 times)

Lin

Pointing the proverbial finger
« on: January 31, 2006, 11:08:19 AM »
So when you've got your novel just about ready to roll and its been edited and the publisher has accepted it, who checks it for continuity?   I mean only I know if the facts are correct or not,after all this is from my own experience,  but sometimes it may be that I am sure I got it right and I may not have done!!  I would feel such a 'niddy noddy' if I put something in there which seemed right at the time and later on found it wasn't quite true. Internet or no internet!!

Is there anyone out there who would check a book to see if it all fits together,both in facts and continuity, what is feasible and what is not. Does my story really work?   My own editor I am sure will assist me in these matters, but sometimes it may be beyond her own powers to know what I know!! (or thought I knew)  I would hate to write about something where the readers are continually pointing their fingers at me!!

Lin

Lin

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
Re: Pointing the proverbial finger
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 11:14:39 AM »
But then they wouldn't be pointing the finger at you, Lin. This is what copy editors are for! It's their job - to protect you from all that. The proofreader corrects the typos but your editor should be watching for all the continuity bits.

Now, facts ... not sure about the facts. I think that's probably your job, but I'm not entirely sure. I doubt that any editor will research your facts for you ...

(all part of the game ...)

Symphony

p.s. Do I detect some last-minute nerves????????

Lin

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 02:52:58 PM »
Just maybe just maybe !!!  Symph!!

Lin

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 04:34:55 PM »
 :o