Author Topic: Be kind to yourself  (Read 336 times)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
Be kind to yourself
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
I'm always a bit fearful that my writing isn't really up to par. I mean, *I* like it, but I love the sound of my own voice even when it is just on paper.

I have been published in a variety of places and even been paid for some of it. I'm always aghast, embarrassed, chagrined, and even mortified when I find errors in my writing. I hate to see my mistakes glaring out at me from print.

I'm underemployed and have time on my hands. I have found some places online that have recorded university classes and one can view the lectures for free. I like learning stuff and so I do this.

Udemy isn't Academic Earth. They have lots of things up there that aren't college or university classwork. However, I was stunned by what I just clicked on to.

http://www.udemy.com/world-history-africa/

I don't know if you can actually get in to that without signing up. It is free and they do have some real university classes (I just finished one from the University of Houston on Cultural Psychology).

I don't know who the person is who has created this class about the history of Egypt but I was just totally stunned by the first "lecture" which consisted of 161 words, most of them explaining the "assignment" that went along with the paragraph of five sentences, two of them also explaining the assignment.

I hope this is considered fair use. Here are the first two sentences of this man's course. This is his hook, the way to make me want to continue on with the course.

"Welcome to World History: Egypt. Egypt has evolved from the beginning of time, all the way to now! There have been many pharos, empires, and now cities."

All I can say is "HOLY SHIT" and hope that no one actually paid for this.

---

Maybe my standards are too high. Maybe my need for actual facts is too great. Maybe I should be kinder to myself when I see glaring and outrageous errors in my writing.

I really need to cut myself some slack because no matter how hard I try, I can't quite write like that.
BTW, the second "lecture" was 67 words and began with a grammar mistake, told me people lived in the pyramids, confused "where" with "were", and ended a declarative statement with a question mark. All that in just two sentences.

I may keep on with the course and start leaving corrections in the comments section.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Re: Be kind to yourself
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:10:47 PM »
I hate to say it, but a complete course which only costs $2 isn't going to be anything special.  

The 'tutor' may well be thinking to himself 'If I get one thousand students at two dollars apiece, that adds up to - Holy Cow - two thousand dollars.'

The point is, unless the course material improves, no-one is going to finish it.  But, and here's the kicker for those of us who think information should be better packaged and of a higher quality, how many people, realistically, are going to bother asking for a refund?

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Western Wood Artist
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:04 PM »
I think education is based on how you learn the best. Personally I like to read and learn that way. Some people learn best in a classroom environment and some learn best in other ways. Whatever works  :)
LAter, Bill
http://www.westernwoodartist.com
http://www.southwestwoodcrafts.com

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:14:31 AM »
You can't see what the course actually is when you subscribe to it. Those that charge money let you see the first one for free so you an make a more informed decision on whether or not you wish to subscribe.

I'm not sure what the vetting process is at Udemy, but it must be nonexistent. It can't be good for Udemy's image to let something like this on their list of classes, but perhaps they are only looking for anything at all rather than anything of any quality.

You can view a fee course from Yale University or you can learn about pharohs and learn that people built the pyramids, none slaves but some consripted. Those are not MY spelling mistakes.

What I don't really understand is the author himself - unless he is using a pseudonym. I mean, how do you write this and promote it is as educational? And how do you believe 67 words is a lecture? Just stunning.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.