Author Topic: Writers approach to discipline  (Read 831 times)

Offline RJLester

Writers approach to discipline
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:10:57 PM »
There appears to be many different roads to becoming disciplined.
The following are some directions to take.

Discipline should never interfere with creativity.

Perfectly correctly structured writing during the draft stage can turn the stomach. Some believe the discipline is in vocabulary; then your grammar and your punctuation and only then the excitement of the written word.

Getting organized is important to some writers; they hate flitting from one project to the next. Some are disciplined by starting and not stopping, all in one go. OK, maybe writing 9 to 5 is your thing, five days a week with the weekend as a break.

Or maybe a regular routine is the approach to take. Doing it by numbers is the preferred method for some writing every day, X number of hours a day or X number of pages a day. If you are not a loner, then the people in your life need to support your discipline.

The concept of complete discipline is the freedom within set boundaries.
Once you have set some book writing boundaries, make the decision to write daily, with the object of completing the story (or whatever) within a set period.
Once you have a set structure in place, you will have discipline.
With that taken care of, you will also have the freedom of creativity, letting the words flow.
After the first month, the writing habit will come naturally and you will be well on your way to the first draft.
You will have become addicted to your writing schedule and your discipline will be no longer a chore but a joy.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
Re: Writers approach to discipline
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »
I like to change my writing schedule every now and then. But I write every day.

At the moment I'm getting up at 5am every morning. I write till 6:25 and get ready for work. If I start falling behind on
my short stories, blogs or extra writing 'chores', I wake fifteen minutes earlier.

That way I can be creative in the sense that no one interrupts me, and when I get home I can relax a bit, which I hardly ever do anymore,
unless I read. Which at the moment is about three novels a month.

I just don't know if I want to do this once the winter creeps in. Might have to change my routine just for winters.  :D
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »
I'm working really hard, don't tell me I need discipline too.

Darn it.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Invader-Boo

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:00:12 PM »
Routine?! I don't understand this word... I also don't understand discipline - I do the things that need to be done or enjoy, then when creativity hits, I drop it all and block the world out

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:14:39 AM »
If I only wrote when creativity hit me, I wouldn't be halfway where I am now.  :)
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:42:32 AM »
Some writer mentioned that he/she loved deadlines, especially the sound they made as they zipped past.

Sorry I don't remember who said it.

I write when I feel like it. I'm old and not very driven. I have my histories written ahead and can make sure I stay that way. Since I haven't decided if I'm going to do year five, I don't feel too compelled to keep way ahead of schedule. I'm up to September 7, so you can see I'm out ahead there.

I did have an issue with deadlines and wrote in a more disciplined manner. I didn't write at the same time each day, but I did tell myself I had to have so much done by the end of the week. If that meant writing a bunch at one time or writing a little every day, it didn't matter to me. I do lots of my writing at work, and it is often interrupted. But I can't stand sitting there and doing nothing. Luckily, I can edit later.

I think it depends on your goals. If you are writing for expression or for self-fulfillment, it would be different than if you were writing for somebody else with a deadline. If the magazine needs the article by that date, you need to have the article to them by that date and your excuses aren't going to matter to them at all.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 08:47:21 AM »
Joe,

I suspect you've reached the point where as soon as you sit down at the keyboard in your designated 'writing slot' Joe the Writer kicks in and gets to work.  Not so say he's not lurking in the background all the rest of the time, but those early morning slots are his time, for him alone to shine or fail.

But it's not really work in the general sense of the word if you're enjoying it, is it?  Even if there's conscious effort involved to find the right words for a particular scene.  It's both a challenge and a pleasure.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatollie

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:06 AM »
Some writer mentioned that he/she loved deadlines, especially the sound they made as they zipped past.

Sorry I don't remember who said it.

Douglas Adams.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 01:43:57 PM »
Thanks TO, I couldn't remember if it was him or Terry Pratchett, but I thought it was one of them.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »
Joe,

I suspect you've reached the point where as soon as you sit down at the keyboard in your designated 'writing slot' Joe the Writer kicks in and gets to work.  Not so say he's not lurking in the background all the rest of the time, but those early morning slots are his time, for him alone to shine or fail.

But it's not really work in the general sense of the word if you're enjoying it, is it?  Even if there's conscious effort involved to find the right words for a particular scene.  It's both a challenge and a pleasure.

Gyppo

Exactly.  ;)