Author Topic: Do the highs and low level out at some point?  (Read 665 times)

Offline Michael M Dickson

• View Profile
    • Outline Your Novel
Do the highs and low level out at some point?
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:23:34 AM »
I'm two thirds of the way through my novel and have once again hit a point where I've lost my voice. I'm not sure how it happens, one day I'm happy with my word choices and the next it's like I'm a totally different writer. Is this normal? This is my third manuscript and the farthest I've come to completing a full-length novel, but I feel like I'm losing touch with it.
I outlined 176 scenes but not in great detail. I wanted just enough to keep me on track with the main plot, sub plots, and allow for some creativity. Do I need to power through it and work on voice during revisions?

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
Re: Do the highs and low level out at some point?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
Yep -- sometimes our stories take little turns we didn't see coming and they can affect the 'voice' -- easily remedied once you have the complete narrative and can see it in context and know what it develops into.

Don't worry -- plough on. ;) ;) ;)
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:25:43 AM »
I was just reading about this last night in Elizabeth Lyon's Manuscript Makeover, a great book on revision. Essentially, she said the real voice comes out in rewrites. Don't expect to get it just right the first time around. You might in places, and those passages are guides for future drafts. But most people's first drafts are pretty skeletal. The real magic happens after the story is solid, i.e. you don't think you need any more major changes to plot and character. Then we can hunker down and look at our word choices, imagery and so on -- all the things that make up voice.

So if this is a first or second or even third draft, don't worry about it! Get the events solid, the arc of the story, the relationships between characters, the point of views etc. The best writing is yet to come. :)
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

• View Profile
    • Outline Your Novel
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:38:31 PM »
Thank you both, that's refreshing. I was getting worried. I'm going to buy that book too!

Sam Cooper

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
Why would you stop? It is a draft.

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
Yes, keep on keeping on.

Everything is a draft until you submit.

Statistically a lot of people flounder - and sometimes founder - at the one third mark, you got to two thirds so you're ahead of the game ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

thatollie

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:23:37 PM »
Man, completing the manuscript is worth it.

Lin

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 07:19:43 AM »
The way I get around this is to stop writing for a week or so and do something else.  I set myself a date to come back to it.  There is a certain amount of self discipline in writing, it's all part of the job. 

Some days I write every single day and can't stop and then I make myself take a break.  It's surprising how you see it all in a different light when you come back. 

Lin x

• View Profile
    • Outline Your Novel
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:47:12 AM »
Thanks for all the encouragement. This morning was a little better. My word count is suffering which is discouraging but I'm a few scenes away from a chase and that seems to help, at least it has in the past.
I know I shouldn't be too worried about word count, but you'll have to bear with me. I'm a finance guy at my day job and love numbers. I keep track of some silly stuff, and find meeting my word count each day to be in part, a successful day of writing. I don't find I'm stretching or adding anything that isn't part of the core plot either. If the scene is over and the word count is less than what I hoped, it just is what it is. With that said, I'm expcting to come in around 70,000 for the first draft, so I'm happy with that.