Author Topic: Newnovelist software - anyone used?  (Read 39845 times)

Offline madgewildfire

Re: Newnovelist software - anyone used?
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2007, 02:56:54 AM »

:)Hi John.
Since I posted my two pennorth in May, I have installed MS Office 2007 and discovered Office One Note. This is an ideal programme for plotting storylines etc as one can devise one's own way of using it and one can move things about; as you do on your MDF board.
 And, John, I agree with your comments on 'Outlander' and 'High Noon'. In fact I agreed with all that you said regarding writers' software and 'how to write' books
Poverty is no disgrace to a man
But it is confoundedly inconvenient.
(Sydney Smith 1771-1847)

Writewayze

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2007, 03:24:43 AM »
Hi Madge,

Thanks for the reply.

I am still using Office 2003. I find it does all I need and I think that One-Note is included. I must check! I neglected to mention that when I start writing from my 'story-board', I first produce an outline that I stay with until it needs alteration. So, I don't stay rigidly with the outline, if good plot develoments suggest themselves.

Once I have the ending done and I know what is to happen in each chapter, I am free to start writing anywhere I wish, on sections that interest me on any given day. As to characters, I 'interview' them as I used to interview people in my job, except that I turn a 'statement' into a first person 'narrative'. It's surprising what this reveals about characters and their goals. Plus, chunks of text can always be cut and pasted, for inclusion in the book as necessary.

I will try to find one of my interviews and post it if there's enough interest.

Thanks again Madge. Happy Writing and
Stay Lucky
John  ;)

memnoch

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2007, 09:00:48 AM »
Onenote is amazing. I just got a copy of 2007 for a housewarming present and it is so easy to use. It is really flexible and does what you want it to do not what it says you should do.
I had Newnovelist but this is way better. Much easier to use and far less constricting.

Offline madgewildfire

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2007, 10:13:56 AM »
 :) Agree entirely, Memnoch. I love the flexibility too. You can plan things in your own way. I like to use photos to give me a clearer image of characters and  and places. I set all of that up in One Note, along with the characters details and back story. I plot my chapters out in there and make all my research notes too. Why spend money on writers' software when this programme does everything so much better.
(Sydney Smith 1771-1847)

Offline madgewildfire

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2007, 12:49:25 PM »
Hi Madge,

Thanks for the reply.

I am still using Office 2003. I find it does all I need and I think that One-Note is included. I must check! I neglected to mention that when I start writing from my 'story-board', I first produce an outline that I stay with until it needs alteration. So, I don't stay rigidly with the outline, if good plot develoments suggest themselves.

Once I have the ending done and I know what is to happen in each chapter, I am free to start writing anywhere I wish, on sections that interest me on any given day. As to characters, I 'interview' them as I used to interview people in my job, except that I turn a 'statement' into a first person 'narrative'. It's surprising what this reveals about characters and their goals. Plus, chunks of text can always be cut and pasted, for inclusion in the book as necessary.

I will try to find one of my interviews and post it if there's enough interest.

Thanks again Madge. Happy Writing and
Stay Lucky
John  ;)

What is your genre, John? Mine is historical fiction. I find the Pennine countryside very inspiring and am glad to live in 'them thar hills'
(Sydney Smith 1771-1847)

Writewayze

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2007, 05:03:01 AM »
Hi Madge,

Sorry about the delayed reply. I have been busy keeping water at bay! (Just a sewer that keeps backing up to the inspection covers in my garden. Not seriously threatening my home, but it happens too often!)

I write thrillers/mysteries/and the occasional short horror/occult story.
I have been published in short-story mags and woodworking  journals, because I also make furniture and write up the projects when I can find a market.

So, not particularly busy as you can tell!  Nothing in hardcover yet, although I am tempted to do something risque, along the line of Jackie Collins. But I suspect it isn't so easy as it seems!  :D

Stay Lucky
John

Offline AndrevanHaren

• StoryCraft 2018 for screenwriters and novelists
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »
For anyone interested, I have worked the last year on a new version of Storycraft. It's for Mac only at the moment, but I am planning a Windows version as well in the not too far future. You can find more information here:

https://storycraft-for-writers.com

The programs still in beta, but it's very close to being released.

Offline nosuchmember

• Heartsong's Poetry  Diary
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2019, 12:34:39 PM »
 I visited your sites and found them very interesting.

It would also be nice if you take a moment to visit the Welcome Board to introduce yourself as a new member;
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?board=1.0

Offline AndrevanHaren

• StoryCraft 2018 for screenwriters and novelists
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2019, 12:41:40 PM »
Hi,
I am already member since 2007 and was not able to log in because of an email change, so I re-registered. However, I haven't visit the board very often either, but was notified by a friend about my old posts and thought it would be nice to mention the new Storycraft version.