Author Topic: Gun-Toting Facebook Dad - WDYT?  (Read 1818 times)

cmb

Re: Gun-Toting Facebook Dad - WDYT?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 02:40:05 AM »
My girls have told me they 'liked knowing where they stood'.  I know damned well they broke the rules sometimes, but they liked having somewhere safe to come back to, and having a Dad to blame if their friends tried to get them to do something they didn't really want to do anyway.

I always tried to make sure there was plenty of growing room within the rules.  It seems to have worked fairly well.  They tell me I'm a 'proper parent', who encouraged therm to be themselves but was always there if they got lost or panicked.  "Learning to be an adult can be pretty scary at times, even with boundaries."

I think their nostalgia and affection is painting me in a somewhat better light than I really was, but there must be some truth in it.

Same here, Gyp.  :)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 06:25:32 AM »
It seems like there are lots of good ways to raise children and I think if you believe in your parenting style and the kids turn out all right, it is all good.

So far, we don't live in Sweden and we each get to choose our own style.

I don't know if the ends really justify the means, but the ends tell if the means were efficacious.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

cmb

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 06:58:23 AM »
It seems like there are lots of good ways to raise children and I think if you believe in your parenting style and the kids turn out all right, it is all good.

I'm not sure that I agree with you. Not entirely. Even children of abusive parents may turn out alright.

So far, we don't live in Sweden and we each get to choose our own style.

That is to say... you live in the US, but I live in the Netherlands, and spanking is prohibited here. Not that this is a problem. Not for me, anyway.  :)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »
My mother lived between two wonderful younger women. Both had babies about the same time. Both had kids that ran into the street and had to be stopped because this just isn't something kids need to learn by suffering the consequences of their own actions.

One mother grabbed her son, gave one whack on the behind and told him he couldn't go in the street. The other mother grabbed her son, sat on the porch and had a nice long talk with her son. Both kids learned to not go in the street, but if I remember right, the whack on the behind kid learned the lesson quicker. Not sure of the reason behind that, but it is my

//CSB

My daughter-in-law grew up not being hit. She did not hit her children. She has no compunction about hitting MY child. She moved out, moved in with another guy who eventually got a restraining order against her. She was raised without hitting and evidently believes it is the way to treat children. She is an abusive adult to other adults, however.

She would even punch MY child while he was holding THEIR child. I'm not quite sure of the thought process there. I do know cops are a part of her life.

I know

another

///CSB

Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

cmb

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 08:01:12 AM »
My mother lived between two wonderful younger women. Both had babies about the same time. Both had kids that ran into the street and had to be stopped because this just isn't something kids need to learn by suffering the consequences of their own actions.

You're absolutely right there. There are times in a parent's life where they have to prevent their offspring from doing things that would cause them or others harm.

One mother grabbed her son, gave one whack on the behind and told him he couldn't go in the street. The other mother grabbed her son, sat on the porch and had a nice long talk with her son. Both kids learned to not go in the street, but if I remember right, the whack on the behind kid learned the lesson quicker.

Maybe the child that got the whack on the behind was simply smarter. I can't remember ever having had to prevent my girls from running into the street; I do remember telling them about the dangers of that kind of behaviour.

My daughter-in-law grew up not being hit. She did not hit her children. She has no compunction about hitting MY child. She moved out, moved in with another guy who eventually got a restraining order against her. She was raised without hitting and evidently believes it is the way to treat children. She is an abusive adult to other adults, however.

She would even punch MY child while he was holding THEIR child. I'm not quite sure of the thought process there. I do know cops are a part of her life.

I'm sorry to hear that. Sadly, not hitting your children is no guarantee that they will become caring and nurturing adults who don't hurt others.  :'(