Author Topic: Kowboy's Kicked Out of College  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
    • View Profile
Re: Kowboy's Kicked Out of College
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »
Unfortunately, college often isn't the safe space for free speech people think it is.

A campus environment can get weird. If a prof feels threatened by what you wrote -- and it's just a feeling, and she can't cope with it for whatever reason -- that is reason enough for her to get you bounced off campus. I don't want to go off on a tangent about women's studies issues and feminism. But it seems to me a strong woman could read about a student's attraction, take note of it as a creative exercise, and make it clear -- if she needs to -- that those thoughts are fine on paper as long as you don't act on them.

Transfer to MSU, Kowboy. It's a better school anyway.  :)
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline Kowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »
Apparently my fifteen minutes of fame have started, locally at least and with video:

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2012/02/13/news/local_news/doc4f39b18194ddf121577498.txt

Kowboy

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Western Wood Artist
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »
Excellent article and hopefully there will be a change. This would not have even been an issue 30 years ago  :(
LAter, Bill
http://www.westernwoodartist.com
http://www.southwestwoodcrafts.com

Offline Kowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 11:42:36 PM »
OU's in some serious crap:

http://www.mindingthecampus.com/forum/2012/02/ferpa_and_a_student_who_might_.html

Kowboy

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 11:54:15 PM »
Oh dear . . . people shoulda thunk afore they spoke. :-[
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Offline mouselady

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »
Transfer to MSU, Kowboy. It's a better school anyway.  :)

...or maybe Wayne State? It was a good school when I went there. Great Ark!  ;)
Listen to 'Book It!' for author interviews, book reviews, original stories, and more on the last Saturday of the month, 10 -11 am GMT, on Sine FM, 102.6 on your radio dial, or www.sinefm.com

My dark fantasy, "The Woodcutter's Son", is available on Amazon.

Blog: sheilanorth.wordpress.com

Offline Vienna

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 09:45:21 AM »
Typically bloody american (sorry) in my opinion. The Land of Free Speech yeah right eh? On the one hand soooooooooooo damned open and tolerant on the other very very constipated.
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 10:26:53 AM »
The case is going a bit viral on my end, Kowboy. I linked to it on my FB page, and it's being spread by my Michigan family and friends.
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline Cyd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 07:53:13 AM »
Kowboy's Kicked Out of Kollege

"It is not against the law to be--or to be perceived as--a creep."

" ... the student "never once addressed the course readings but instead used it as a platform to sexualize the instructor, describe his sexual relationship (or lack thereof) with his wife, write about a student in the course, and compose a fake letter from the course instructor to himself in which he admits that his entries are inappropriate and would be met with a visit to the Dean of Students."

"The University Conduct hearing in which Mr. Corlett was found responsible for repeatedly and deliberately intimidating his professor and another student in the class considered a range of evidence, not just his writing journals.

Just a few quotes and I've read several linked articles as well.   Kowboy, you brought it on yourself.  
Sure, write what you wish but you've got to be clever.  

Offline Kowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 12:49:59 AM »
Kowboy's Kicked Out of Kollege

"It is not against the law to be--or to be perceived as--a creep."

" ... the student "never once addressed the course readings but instead used it as a platform to sexualize the instructor, describe his sexual relationship (or lack thereof) with his wife, write about a student in the course, and compose a fake letter from the course instructor to himself in which he admits that his entries are inappropriate and would be met with a visit to the Dean of Students."

"The University Conduct hearing in which Mr. Corlett was found responsible for repeatedly and deliberately intimidating his professor and another student in the class considered a range of evidence, not just his writing journals.

Just a few quotes and I've read several linked articles as well.   Kowboy, you brought it on yourself.  
Sure, write what you wish but you've got to be clever.  

Cyd:

Sherry Perdue, Ms. Mitzelfeld's supervisor, probably violated the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act with her above quote. Furthermore, she is a liar. Nowhere in the Daybook do I describe my sexual relationship with my wife or lack thereof.

The "other evidence" against me in my hearing was a note from me to Ms. Mitzelfeld asking her to be sure another student wasn't plagerizing. She said that was "taking over her class". She said I had signed up for a Peer Tutoring class because I knew that would involve working in the Writing Center where her office is. The written record indicates that I signed up for the class last year, long before I met her. Yep, that's intimidating.

Kowboy

Offline Kowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 09:35:44 PM »
I'm very pleased:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/let_it_rip/let-it-rip-the-issue-of-free-speech-20120216-ms

Offline Matt Walker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 04:36:05 AM »
That was a great interview, James. Even the lady in the middle who felt you'd gone too far with your writing thought it was wrong to suspend you. God only knows what the university would have done with, say, Nabokov.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 05:05:29 AM »
Should dispel the 'creep' perception that was written down about you -- well done. ;)
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Offline Kowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 08:09:39 AM »
Should dispel the 'creep' perception that was written down about you -- well done. ;)

510:

Thanks so much. Like the writer on the far right in the video above, I'm finding that it seems only other writers are "getting" this. I particularly liked that she commented on my honesty and kept thinking there had to be more because she couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Note that Laura Berman, the reporter next to me, said that the power was with the teacher, not the student, in this situation. When women clamor for more power (which they should get) they should assert same, not play the victim.

Kowboy

Offline Kowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 08:38:37 AM »
That was a great interview, James. Even the lady in the middle who felt you'd gone too far with your writing thought it was wrong to suspend you. God only knows what the university would have done with, say, Nabokov.

Matt:

You bring up an excellent point. I also took a Fiction class in which we were required to study Robert Barthelme's Me and Miss Mandible which is the story of a student having sexual relations with his teacher. Even thought I never expressed wanting to have sex with Ms. Mitzelfeld, how can Oakland University assign stories of having sex with teachers and then suspend students who merely write they find one attractive? The duplicity boggles the mind.

Kowboy