Author Topic: Kowboy's Kicked Out of College  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Kowboy

• View Profile
Kowboy's Kicked Out of College
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »
Apparently the Bill of Rights doesn't apply at Oakland University:

http://thefire.org/article/14157.html

Joseph "Kowboy" Corlett

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
Re: Kowboy's Kicked Out of College
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »
That is outrageous!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

If any lecturer was ticked off, let them whinge about it in the staffroom like they normally do about students who get under their skin.

I hope things can be turned around for you somehow Kowboy. ;) :-*
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

drafty posh shark

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 01:09:28 PM »
Wow, sorry to hear this Kowboy, amazing narrow minded organisation, this is grounds for a classic student protest, you need to get a campaign going  lots of bloke and naked girls with mrs robinson masks if that dosent get pr that nothing will. 
it might embarass them.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 01:10:57 PM »
I've sent an email to President Russi. ;)
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

cmb

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:46:20 PM »
Really! That makes me angry.  >:(

I remember once handing in a writing assignment in which I said some pretty nasty (yes, nasty!) things about my teacher. (In was in secondary school back then.) The teacher did not like what I wrote about her, at all. She said I was being childish, but... that I definitely knew how to write!

Now that's what I call a professional attitude to your students' work. You don't take it personally but judge the work on its own merit.

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »
Kowboy.  For what it's worth I slung him an email too.

Not just the standard 'protest message'...

=====

President Gary D Russi

In addition to the standard protest letter below may I make this point.

I was a creative writing tutor for several years, and in nearly every intake there would be at least one female student who tended to base all her heroes or villains upon me.  This is not in any way suggesting I'm some kind of irresistible babe magnet, merely that students will draw inspiration from whatever, or whoever, is front of them.

Did I find this disturbing?  Occasionally yes, although the other students seemed to find it highly amusing.  Did I run for the hills and hide, or demand that the woman be struck off my course?  Of course not.  I'm a professional.  Your decision seems to suggest to me that your female tutor is less than capable of behaving in a professional manner and wants special delicate handling merely because of her gender.  Is this the image you wish to portray, that in these days of equality the females receive preferential treatment?

If Mr Corlett was sending her suggestove personal notes saying how gorgeous she was, or groping her in the corridor, then you'd be right to kick him out.  Otherwise this strikes me as the kind of serious over-reaction which is inevitable when the pendulum swings too far in either direction.

John Craggs (Writer, UK.) 

=====
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Frogg

• Let there be tea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »
Absurd overreaction. And as Gyp said, for what it's worth, an email is speeding from my computer as I type.
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters... it's amazing I'm here at all. - Bernard Black

drafty posh shark

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »
and me ....email on its way ....

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »
This is atrocious...  Have you thought of writing to the local paper about this travesty?   >:(
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Western Wood Artist
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 04:46:31 PM »
The mention of the gun might be what put them in a "tizzy."  Regardless, I personally don't think the actions are correct...geez, it is just writing. Part of today's insanity  :(
LAter, Bill
http://www.westernwoodartist.com
http://www.southwestwoodcrafts.com

Offline Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »
That's not cool, Joseph. It seems to me that certain members of the faculty and staff require 'sensitivity' counseling.

What the heck does 'unlawful individual activities' mean anyhow?
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 05:32:04 PM »
That is ludicrous. And I particularly don't like there strong suggestion of counselling. Who do they think they are?

unlawful individual activities. What exactly activities are we talking here? ??? Oh my gawd, he has pen and paper, duck. :o

If you called them old dogs that looked like the back end of a bus I could understand them being miffed is all, but come on, attraction, isn't that life. Or are we so PC now we even have to keep that quiet too. Sorry Depp, only naughty thoughts now.  ::) Well until they find a way to tap into my mind too. >:( A journal has personal thoughts doesn't it?

Are all the female teachers in your country such delicate flowers, they can't read something for what it is?

I hope someone gets their act together for your sake.

Offline Matt Walker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 04:30:19 AM »
I too have sent an email, but if your professors are anything like mine were I fear they'd sooner die than admit they were wrong.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Sam Cooper

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 08:20:02 AM »
I hope this straightens up, or at least something comes good of the reaction.

The Bill of Rights is often abused.

Offline Kowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 10:22:31 AM »
This is atrocious...  Have you thought of writing to the local paper about this travesty?   >:(

Everyone:

Thanks for all those emails. The tide of public opinion is very important.

Andrew:

I spent about an hour on the phone with a local reporter yesterday. She was going to talk to her editor and call me today.

Thanks,

Kowboy