Author Topic: New Writer!  (Read 987 times)

Offline MCEAK

• View Profile
New Writer!
« on: February 08, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
Hello to everyone!

I am a stay-at-home mom (recent) with two beautiful kids.  I do have a little time on my hands (believe it or not) and I LOVE to read, and sometimes write, so I thought I'd step out and take a stab at this thing.  If it works out, perhaps I will not go back to the industry I came from.  We'll have to see!

I joined because sometimes when you're writing, you need to know if a situation in which you've placed your characters is even plausible.  So here I am!

And now for my first question!  I need a few guys to weigh in here.  Is it plausible for two guy friends to show up at a singles swinger party together?  You know, if one guy says I want to check this out, but I don't want to go alone, and asks one of his friends to go with.  Would that happen?

thatollie

Re: New Writer!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »
Welcome aboard. Who are some of your favourite writers?

As to your question, I would not. That's the only thing I know about that.

Offline Laura H

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:07:06 PM »

Welcome to My Writer’s Circle, Mceak!

Please take a moment to read the guidelines for forum etiquette -

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,7415.0.html

Now, go have fun exploring the site!   You'll find Blue stickies (with the push-pin icons) at the top of each board.  Read these.  They’ll help you find your way around and acquaint you with the local customs.

It’s considered good manners to critique a few pieces in Review My Work or Review My Poetry before asking for reviews yourself.  You’re more likely to receive helpful feedback after you’ve contributed a bit.

Consider entering our flash fiction or poetry contests- There's one open for entries now - http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,41504.0.html.  They’re fun and anonymous.  

And, If you ever get stuck in one of the dark, winding tunnels or have a question  feel free to pm a moderator – we’re the ones with blue stars over our heads.

Most of all, enjoy hanging out with the writers on MWC   ;D

As to our question, I'll lamely answer maybe.  It depends on the guys imo  :)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:21:51 PM »
Hi -- welcome to MWC  :) :) :)
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Offline MCEAK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »
Ok, so that's four nos, including one from my husband.  May have to think of a different situation.   :-\

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »
Depends on the strength of personality of the guy who isn't bothered. I'd go and people watch, enjoy the booze and the eye candy even if I stayed non-participant. :-[
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • View Profile
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 07:19:59 PM »
Hello Mceak and welcome.

About your question. I think it would, at least in part, depend on where they lived. But being the mother of four grown boys men, I think it would be unusual for two men to go to a "singles swinger party" together. Especially if "swinger party" means the same to you as it generally around here.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline MCEAK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:32:43 PM »
Oh, and I love LOTS of writers/authors/storytellers.  My favorite books of all time are written by Diana Gabaldon.  I don't know why.  They just speak to me.  I just finished a Dean Kootnz (What the Night Knows...scared the crap out of me), and I also finished a Lee Child book last week called The Affair.  Planning on picking up more of his.  

I recently found an off-mainstream romance author named Barbara Elsborg that I really like.  And by off-mainstream, I do mean certain scenes are explicit, but that's all I'll say.  If you want to know more, just research the author.  There's a whole genre out there most people don't hear of.

I read lots of things, but right now I am mostly reading romances (again) and that is what I am attempting to write for the first time.

Offline randi.lee

• View Profile
    • The Emotional Process of Writing A Novel
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 09:07:39 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »
Welcome aboard, Mceak.

What about one guy (a regular at such events) taking his friend who just went through a rough breakup or divorce.

Or maybe the two guys got invited by a co-worker and they thought it was a normal party.

Lots of ways you can work around this.
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline MCEAK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 10:09:51 AM »
Great idea!

Sam Cooper

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 10:37:38 AM »
Hello and Welcome.

What an odd first question. :)

I do not have enough information to answer with certainty.

Offline MCEAK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 12:25:09 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  I know it's odd.  Turns out, most guys wouldn't do it.  Learned something new anyway!

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 02:03:27 PM »
I wouldn't do it.  There's something not quite right about turning up with another man.  Some people will assume you're 'together' in the wrong sort of way.  This may be why the men who tend not to hang around in groups either 'hunt' solo or in threes.  Three is safe ;-)

On the other hand...  A Hells Angel friend of mine once borrowed his best friend's girl and took her to a wife swapping party.  It nearly destroyed the friendship when he found out.  Sharing her with his mate was okay, but not with a bunch of strange 'swingers'.  The fact the girl herself was quite happy with the arrangement was deemed irrelevant.

So  if you can add a third guy as 'visual ballast' then they just become a 'group' of horny lads, rather than a possibly questionable 'couple'.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1