Author Topic: by psychiatric recomendation..  (Read 1232 times)

Offline ZeusUnderToe

• View Profile
by psychiatric recomendation..
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:29:15 PM »
I wouldn't really call myself a writer simply because I don't think Ive ever finished anything that Ive ever started, however I often find myself staring at the ceiling at night bursting with ideas for books, stories, plots, to the point that i cant seem to fall asleep. Of course like most people I feel the need to immediately get up and start jotting down these ideas and over the past 3 years i have accumulated quite a few boxes of ideas, chapters, characters, factions, and conflict plots. So, here i am after much procrastination, to take these ideas, refine them and hopefully turn them into stories that everyone can find as fascinating as me. (if you haven't guessed) I'm not the most educated person when it comes to sentence structure and I'm open to whatever kind of criticism may be given. I appreciate any help that i may receive on this site and i hope i can help you too.

-envy-

Offline Laura H

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: by psychiatric recomendation..
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
Nice to meet you, ZeussUndertoe :)

I also have lots of late night ideas jotted down on scraps of paper.  Keep those - they can pay off  ;D

Welcome to My Writer’s Circle!  You’ve just become part of a wonderful community.

Please take a moment to read the guidelines for forum etiquette -

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,7415.0.html

Now, go have fun exploring the site!   You'll find Blue stickies  (with the push-pin icons) at the top of each board.  Read these.  They’ll help you find your way around and acquaint you with the local customs.

It’s considered good manners to critique a few pieces in Review My Work or Review My Poetry before asking for reviews yourself.  You’re more likely to receive helpful feedback after you’ve contributed a bit.

Consider entering any open flash fiction or poetry contests.  They’re fun and anonymous.

And, If you ever get stuck in one of the dark, winding tunnels or have a question  feel free to pm a moderator – we’re the ones with blue stars over our heads.

Most of all, enjoy hanging out with the writers on MWC  ;D

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:35:19 PM by Laura H »
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »
Welcome to the Circle.
MWC Glossary --> http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=41276.0

thatollie

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »
Welcome aboard. Who are some of your favourite writers?

Offline ZeusUnderToe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:32:10 PM »
My favorite author (most recently) is probably rob thurman, author of the cal leandros series (which i highly recommend if you like sci-fi books for mature audiences. I also recently finished reading the inheritence series by christopher paolini. And my favorite "classic" author would be lovecraft hands down.

thatollie

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »
I've been recommended Thurman before but I've a packed reading list already. Shame, he'd fit right in if there was a space.

Offline ZeusUnderToe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:42:06 PM »
rob is short for robbin, (masculine pen names and all...) anywhoo, et tu? who is your favorite author as of late?

thatollie

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 08:45:51 PM »
Of the authors who are still putting out books, I'd say that my favourites are M. John Harrison, George R.R. Martin, Iain M. Banks, and Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I'm also very excited by the prospect of a novel from comic book genius Warren Ellis.

Offline ZeusUnderToe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 08:55:02 PM »
I am, unfamiliar with all of those writers. books to recommend?

thatollie

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 09:06:24 PM »
The best place to start with Harrison would probably be Light, the first book in his Arthur C. Clarke and Philip K. Dick award winning Empty Space Trilogy (the second book is called Nova Swing, the third book will be released in July and is called Empty Space).

George R.R. Martin is famous for A Song of Ice and Fire, a seven book series (five released) starting with A Game of Thrones (which was made into a television show by HBO)

Iain M. Banks writes vaguely communistic Space Operas about a society controlled by benevolent computers, beginning with Consider Phlebas.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon is a Spanish author who dominated the bestseller charts with The Shadow of The Wind.

Warren Ellis is the comic book superguru behind Transmetropolitan, FreakAngels, Planetary, Ocean, The Authority and many others. His second novel Gun Machine comes out in Autumn, and his first novel Crooked Little Vein is almost impossible to find anywhere.

Offline Laura H

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 09:13:07 PM »

Carlos Ruiz Zafon is a Spanish author who dominated the bestseller charts with The Shadow of The Wind.

One of my top ten picks - and read the follow up -The Angel's Game - which plays with the timeline a bit  ;)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

thatollie

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:14:27 PM »
One of my top ten picks - and read the follow up -The Angel's Game - which plays with the timeline a bit  ;)

And read his young adult novels The Prince of Mists and The Midnight Palace.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 01:56:22 AM »
Lovecraft! Lovecraft! Lovecraft!

Nice to meet you, ZeussUndertoe. Welcome to MWC.
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 10:31:49 AM »
On the subject of George R.R. Martin, I'm in a minority here, I know, but I much preferred his earlier science-fiction novels and short stories. I read some of the books in his Fire & Ice series years ago (well before the TV adaptation). I liked them at first - a certain level of misogyny aside - but eventually I got fed up with the fact that the books and series seemed interminable. I much prefer Robin Hobb for my fantasy novels (The Liveship Traders, etc.).

Having got that out of my system, welcome to myWritersCircle!

Nick  :)

Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

thatollie

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 06:25:27 AM »
Lovecraft! Lovecraft! Lovecraft!

Nice to meet you, ZeussUndertoe. Welcome to MWC.

Indeed.