Author Topic: Hello, everyone.  (Read 682 times)

Offline Klimpergeld

• View Profile
Hello, everyone.
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
First of all, I wanted to apologize for failing to introduce myself here first, i.e. before posting something elsewhere. It wasn't a malicious ploy to remain silent and anonymous, just inattentiveness.

As for me, I'm a student. I'm 22. I'm German. I study foreign languages (English and French) and translation, which means that I do write quite a bit but not necessarily anything original. I would like to change that, and I thought joining a forum would be a good way to start.

This seems kind of minimal as far as introductions go, but ask away. I'll be very happy to talk to you.  :)

Offline Laura H

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, everyone.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:38:12 AM »
Nice to meet you, Klimpergeld!  Thanks for dashing over to introduce youreself  :)

You’ve just become part of a friendly community with many wonderful resources.

First, please take a moment to read the guidelines for forum etiquette.  I’ll wait . . .

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,7415.0.html

Great!  Now have fun exploring the site.  You'll find Blue stickies (with the push-pin icons) at the top of each board.  Read these.  They’ll help you find your way around and acquaint you with the local customs.

It’s considered good manners to critique a few pieces in Review My Work or Review My Poetry before asking for reviews yourself.  Give and take, you know?

Consider entering any open flash fiction or poetry contests.  They’re fun and anonymous.  

If you get stuck in one of the tunnels or have a question, feel free to pm (personal message) a moderator – they’re the ones with blue stars below their usernames.

Most of all, enjoy hanging out with the writers on MWC  
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • View Profile
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
Hello and welcome Klimpergeld.  Translating something from one language to another sounds like a daunting task to me. If you can do that, I have no doubt you can write something of your own.

Smiles,
Alice
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 11:42:05 AM »
Welcome to the Circle.
MWC Glossary --> http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=41276.0

Offline Maimi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Klimpergeld. :)

thatollie

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
Welcome aboard. Who are some of your favourite writers?

Offline Klimpergeld

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »
Thank you for your kind replies! : )

In response to Alice, a Country Gal:
It does appear daunting at times, and it's bound to be incredibly frustrating to perfectionists. You have to compromise far too much. It can still be quite worthwhile, though

To answer thatollie's question:
I've recently discovered a German writer, Katja Lange-Müller, whose novel "Böse Schafe" immediately became one of my favorite books. I'm quite picky with German books, usually, but her use of language was just somehow magical to me. (Apparently there is an English translation, which goes by the name of "Angry Sheep", but I didn't particularly like the excerpt I read on the internet...)
Other favorite writers include Paul Auster, F. Scott Fitzgerald and Fred Vargas.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 02:32:56 AM »
Welcome aboard, Klimpergeld.  :)
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Vienna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 05:08:30 AM »
herzlich willkommen Klimpergeld, wünsche Dir viel Spass.
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!