Author Topic: Submitting Filler ideas for Magazines  (Read 4646 times)

Offline HPvD

• View Profile
    • HP's Happy Writing Blogspot.com
Submitting Filler ideas for Magazines
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:57:12 AM »
I researched a few Magazines and came up with a few possible places that might suit some of my
Filler-ideas, Fillers with using one or more of the photo's I have in my own stock photo catalogue.

So now I am wondering about submitting a Filler,
if you ever simply use the Telephone for asking if they would possibly like a specific Filler idea
and to ask if they don't happen to have some very particular submission guidelines?

Or do you just send them with 'Snail Mail' and submit them
on Speculation using double spacing etc. etc. and hope for the best?

To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
    • View Profile
Re: Submitting Filler ideas for Magazines
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:14:31 AM »
I would get hold of a copy of the Writers and Artist year book. They have advice and details for submitting to magazines.
Time to take it serious and get the job done

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:56:50 AM »
Many magazines now have a website with, once you cut through all the 'puff', a submissions page where you can post your tips, hints, reader's letters, etc, very much like posting on here.  I strongly suggest you type them up carefully and check them on your computer, then cut and paste into the box only after you are happy with the result.  They don't expect double spacing in these submission boxes.

One bonus of this is you will nearly always get an acknowledgement, so at least you know it got there.  With the weekly magazines rejections are generally quick too, freeing you try elsewhere. Acceptances can take a bit longer.

But snail mail will still get there, and is useful when you can't find the 'tradesman's entrance' amongst all the eye candy exhorting you to buy their magazine and catch up with the latest doings of some fictional soap opera family ;-)

I really wouldn't bother to phone up and try to sell a 'filler' or even a series of fillers.

The Writers and Artists Yearbook or The Writer's Handbook often give a weblink where you can download or read the magazines contributor's guidelines.  Sometimes they will still even post them to you if you send a sae.  These guidelines are priceless, and should always be grabbed if they are on offer.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline REShirley

• Coffee and a keyboard...the good life.
    • View Profile
    • REShirley Freelance Writing Services
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:54:03 AM »
I'm a fulltime freelance writer and most of the work I do is in the magazine industry.  Every magazine has their own preferences as to how and where you should submit any ideas, be they fillers or features.  Your best bet is to read a copy of the publication's submission guidelines before you attempt to submit anything.  Make sure you're familiar with the kinds of items the magazine uses as well so you aren't submitting something completely wrong for a particular publication.  And never, ever attempt to submit ideas by telephone unless the publication specifically asks you to do so.  Telephone submissions are extremely frowned upon in the writing industry and most generally viewed as an annoyance.

I'm in the US, not sure where you are, but the above generally applies to any geographical location.  I'm posting a few links below to some of the guidelines databases that I use on a daily basis.  There are many others online and most online versions of magazines have a submissions page where they post their guidelines.

If you're looking for markets, The Writer's Market is the best by far of all the market books out there and each entry includes submission information as well as vital info about the publication, its editors and needs.  You can subscribe at www.writersdigest.com

The following databases include guidelines to hundreds of magazines and are free to use.  I find them extremely helpful when I'm looking to submit a particular idea or looking for new markets to approach.

http://www.writingfordollars.com/GuidelinesDB.cfm
http://www.freelancewriting.com/guidelines/pages/
http://www.writerswrite.com/writersguidelines/

I hope this is helpful,

Robin
"LIfe is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

www.reshirley.x10.mx

Offline HPvD

• View Profile
    • HP's Happy Writing Blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 06:21:09 AM »
Thanks for all the practical info,

For what Telephone calls is concerned I was just curious about if you ever contact people by phone,
or possibly that editors contact writers, I wasn't thinking about calling for actual telephone submissions, only more of a 'Lead generation' type of phone calls,
to find out about what the latest 'Buzz' is all about, only for that I probably better have a look in Trade Magazines,
and the Magazines of the publishers.

I do have an old Writers and Artists Yearbook only I probably will need a newer one with more up to date info.
Also databases with guidelines look like a practical tool for finding the right magazines, the right departments
and the right editors.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:23:15 AM by HPvD »
To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Offline REShirley

• Coffee and a keyboard...the good life.
    • View Profile
    • REShirley Freelance Writing Services
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 01:05:05 AM »
Once you've established a relationship with an editor most of your communication will be done over the phone.  If an editor is interested in your idea, they will probably call you.

I also call a publication to get the name of the appropriate editor to query if I can't determine that information from the magazine's masthead or from their guidelines.  In a lot of cases, the guidelines won't give you an editor's name.  It's worth it to take the extra time to get the name of the appropriate editor so you can address your query to an actual person.

As far as making a phone call to "generate leads" or to get the general "feel" of a publication's needs, you'd be wasting your time.  They'll most likely just refer you to their guidelines anyway.  It's always best to make first contact through the mail or email, depending on how the magazine prefers contact.

Robin
"LIfe is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

www.reshirley.x10.mx