Author Topic: Greetings from the Netherlands  (Read 2096 times)

Offline FranR

• Writer and Illustrator
    • Fran's website
Greetings from the Netherlands
« on: January 26, 2012, 02:32:06 PM »
Hello everyone,
I'm quite excited to be here. I signed up after buying Nick's amazing e-books and was very impressed with its contents. It's going to be a wonderful year where I can explore my creative goals to the max.

I've always loved writing, though it's not always a good thing. You know what I mean? Like when you write on the forums and you just go on and on. Not that you realize it, no you're just in 'the zone' typing whatever comes to mind and before you know it, you've written a novelle. ;-)

Originally I wrote to deal with the bagage I carry with me, keeping a diary, writing letters but never sent them. I started to draw and express with a mix of text and imagery what I felt. Now I want to try and be more focused, setting goals and work with more structure instead of being all over the place.

I also would love to actually finish a few things finally and present what I can in a friendly environment.

Some of my favorite authors are H. Mulisch, I. Asimov, D. Karpyshyn, A. Rice, JRR Tolkien, Robert E. Howard

- Fran

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
Re: Greetings from the Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »
Welcome to My Writers Circle Fran. You sound enthusiastic and that's great, but please take the time to click the link below and read. Great to have you with us.

To learn your way around our forum, start by clicking and reading the link below. It takes you to our forum guidelines.  Don't forget to read and comment/critique other people's work before you ask the same from them.

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=7415.0

You'll find other Blue stick-pin (Stickies) at the top of the various boards to help you learn the ropes and made your time here more productive and enjoyable.

The moderators are easy to spot due to all the blue stars floating above our heads. If you have a problem, we are happy to help in any way we can.

Smiles,
Alice - Deep in the Heart of Texas
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Laura H

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »
Welcome, FranR!

You might consider entering the new flash fiction contest which opened today -

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,41389.0.html

The contests are a great way to push yourself and meet a deadline and actually finish a piece.  Plus - they're anonymous (unless you win ;))

Have fun :)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline FranR

• Writer and Illustrator
    • Fran's website
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 03:11:06 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I'll definitely try out this new flas fiction contest :D Sounds like good exercise.

cmb

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 03:32:24 PM »
Hey Fran! Welcome to MWC.

I'm Leah and I'm from the Netherlands too. I live in the east of the country with my husband and children - and three cats.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

Leah

Offline Laura H

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I'll definitely try out this new flas fiction contest :D Sounds like good exercise.

Great!  There are poetry contests, too.  As a member you can vote in the current one -

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,41327.0.html

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Sam Cooper

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »
Welcome to the site, Fran.

Offline FranR

• Writer and Illustrator
    • Fran's website
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 05:44:56 PM »
Whoa, loads of responses.

@ Leah
I visited your blogs, but they seem to be in need of updating ;) You've a lovely family!

@Laura h
I'll check it out. Wow lots to do.

@ everyone
thanks again for the warm welcome. Feels good, really.

cmb

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 10:06:37 AM »
Thank you, Fran, and yes, you're right. My blogs do need updating. I've sort of abandoned them and am still not sure whether or not to go back to blogging. It's so time consuming.

Offline ascribe

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »
Hello there,
Nice to meet you.
I have only just joined too and am amazed by the warmth with which I was welcomed.

Offline Maimi

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 10:43:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Fran.

Stroll the boards and feel free to join a conversation or ask a question. :)

Offline FranR

• Writer and Illustrator
    • Fran's website
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 10:44:52 AM »
Thank you, Fran, and yes, you're right. My blogs do need updating. I've sort of abandoned them and am still not sure whether or not to go back to blogging. It's so time consuming.

I have a facebook page, and a hyves page, twitter and that's it really. I only update when I get around to do it, but I do realize the importance of having some sort of website. I also bought back my old domain, but still needs a website that I have to build. So, yeah lots to do as well. :)

But really, it's only as time consuming as you make it yourself. I post a few lines of text every now and then and Im happy with that.

Offline FranR

• Writer and Illustrator
    • Fran's website
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »
Hello there,
Nice to meet you.
I have only just joined too and am amazed by the warmth with which I was welcomed.

Right back at ya ;)

Yes, I had the same experience when I got here. Nervous at first but soon I found out that the people here are incredible. A great community with a relatively safe and a warm environment. I'm so glad I signed up.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome :)

cmb

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
I have a facebook page, and a hyves page, twitter and that's it really. I only update when I get around to do it, but I do realize the importance of having some sort of website. I also bought back my old domain, but still needs a website that I have to build. So, yeah lots to do as well. :)

I've got facebook. Have hated Hyves ever since I first saw it, and have no intention of ever joining it. Twitter... somewhere out there. But I'm quite active on FB. I like it there. A couple of sentences, a picture, a quote... it doesn't need much. :)

Offline FranR

• Writer and Illustrator
    • Fran's website
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »
I don't like hyves either tho, I joined it to get reunited with old neighborhood friends. Like 35 years ago old haha, but slowly and surely they're moving to FB so :)

I'll visit your page and drop you a friend request :)