Author Topic: First visit to book signing  (Read 831 times)

Offline RJLester

• View Profile
First visit to book signing
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:37:33 AM »
I went to my first book signing last night.
Lesley Pearse is one of the UK's best-loved novelists, with over 7 million copies sold!
(quote from her web site)
Wanted to see how the event was organised with a special interest in the promotional aspects of being an author.
Took place at the Mick Jagger Centre (Dartford Grammar School)
Some 40 odd people attended, many of them fans.
Lesley spoke about her early years & how she got into writing.
Very fascinating.

Offline Aliyah

• View Profile
Re: First visit to book signing
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »
Oh wish i could of been there love, love ,love Lesley Pearse books.
 ;D ;D ;D

thatollie

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:36:29 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time.

Offline HPvD

• View Profile
    • HP's Happy Writing Blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 07:56:07 AM »
It indeed sounds interesting to see how such things are organised, and to see how those promotional aspects take place.

Some years ago when I was working in the Music Business I frequently got invitations for Music CD Releases
and things like that. Those also usually took place at interesting locations and all, so it makes me wonder about
possible similarities or differences in organising such promotional events.   

So beside what you already wrote about, did you find out something specific that surprised you or that you didn't expect, something
that writers that want to organise a book signing themselves might learn something from in case they want to organise
an event or book signing for promoting a book?
To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Offline RJLester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »
HPvD - Yes; noting that the event had attracted a certain target market, by the very nature of the genre, I took the time to engage with those attending and asked them open ended questions about how they had heard about the event, the location, duration etc.
From these answers, I will attend another book signing, dealing with another genre and compare the answers.
From my marketing days, I am interested in product segmentation.
As a sample of one, I found the setting more intimate when compared with say, in a large book store.
The event was also organised by our local library services and it will also be interesting to compare that to what an agent puts on?
My feelings are that a cheese & wine occasion might better serve the relaxed mood than tea & coffee; but that just me; wine tasting and an good author? No contest!

Offline HPvD

• View Profile
    • HP's Happy Writing Blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 07:18:53 AM »
Makes me realise even more that when organising a booksigining the location is definitely something to carefully think about.
It probably will also make sense to also take special care of decorating the location in alignment with the book genre to be able to attract a target market.
Talking about location and target market, I remember several of those Music CD Relases where held in Recording Studios,
attracting a target market of music lovers so no surprise there :)  

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:12:27 AM by HPvD »
To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Offline randi.lee

• View Profile
    • The Emotional Process of Writing A Novel
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 08:24:36 AM »
Sounds like a great experience. Glad you were able to be a part of it.