Author Topic: Tangled in Knots, or just.....Edit later?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Paige Lollie

• View Profile
Re: Tangled in Knots, or just.....Edit later?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »
Yes, those moments when you get tangled are pretty frustrating! It can really affect your whole groove in writing. I think what everyone else has said is true; it is a good bit about balance. Everyone is different and you just need to find your momentum in writing and editing. Some need to edit as they write, some back back and do it later, and some are just putting concentrating on their writing alone and perhaps has someone else taking care of the editing business.

I think the important thing is to not let it really consume you.  Editing is important, but I don't think that it should overwhelm you or your writing.

Offline RJLester

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 12:19:13 PM »
Of course it is an advantage if you can multitask & think laterally. Something that the other gender do naturally?

Offline SamPerkins

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 08:39:52 AM »
This post struck a chord, and reading through the replies I had to chuckle. More advice! Hehe.

All advice is good, but only practice can help you learn how you do it.

I know exactly how you feel. Too much advice, you concentrate on fulfilling EVERYTHING.

I read about planning, knowing where the story goes. Eventually, I gave up! I have an idea, and after some loose planning, I roll with it. Many might be bashing their heads on something hard right now, as I obviously seem to be ignoring one of the biggest rules of story. I need to know where it ends. But I don't. All I need to know is who wins. As long as I make sure that it happens, I'm happy. Granted, I am not published yet, but I will be.

So, in answer to the question. Write first, edit later. My first drafts are always absolutely rubbish, and are, quite frankly, just the bones. But I need to get the story down, whether that is in 20 words or 100,000. As long as it is down, and I can do the 'fun' bits later.

Offline Dave King

• View Profile
    • Dave King Editorial Services
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »
Speaking as someone who co-authored the advice books, I'd say ignore all advice while you're working on your first draft.  You can actually avoid a lot of the mistakes by focusing on your story and characters.  The rest you can worry about once you've got that first draft in the can.

Dave
Dave King
Co-author, Self-Editing for Fiction Writers

Offline RJLester

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 07:36:04 AM »
In the can, Too true, the film making crowd would say - "That a wrap".
However, they do also have the option of the daily rushes, or something like that?

Sam Cooper

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 07:45:11 AM »
Ignore all advice when writing the first draft - This makes no sense at all. Should a writer abandon all advice given prior? Just write in fragmented/poorly constructed sentences? I can't even begin to imagine the work it would require a writer to straighten all those problems up. I'm saying this because you use the words 'when writing the first draft'.

So I am in disagreement with that statement. To believe such is what makes the differences between those who write for fun, and those who write for publication.

Feel free to disagree.

Sam

Offline Dave King

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 08:44:20 AM »
Well, Sam, I don't think that ignoring the advice from writing books will necessarily mean your use of language will fall apart.  But even if it did, would that be a bad thing?

Remember, your style is always in the service of your plot and characters, which is why focusing too much on your style can interfere with writing the first draft.  If you can get your plot and characters down on paper, then you can go back later and adjust your style to fit them best.

Dave
Dave King

Sam Cooper

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 10:39:30 AM »
Many new writers believe that. Style. You are talking about something different then. Editing is not about style.

Don't get me wrong, I can agree that a writer can get too involved in making something perfect. But to just write in abandonment, well that works at the beginning, and if you want to be stuck in restructuring sentences/grammar/spelling after that first draft is completed, well, I guess that's the writer's decision.

As a co-author of a writing book, I would have thought you knew that. You can't just ignore grammar and such. Even in draft. You mentioned doing so gives you the freedom of imagination, but eventually you can't be a beginner anymore. If a builder just pounded nails into a house, well in the end they'd have a house, but structurally it is hardly standing.

Anyway, different opinions, I always learn from them.

Offline Dave King

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 10:57:46 AM »
Sam,

I think we may be talking about two different things.  The editing I do (and write about in my book) is all about style, except when it's about plot and characters.  COPY editing is about grammar and correct usage. And, yes, when editing dialogue for authentic character voice, I often ignore good grammar.  People mostly don't talk good, and your characters should reflect that.

Dave
Dave King

Offline mfarraday

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 11:26:17 AM »
it's very exciting to watch this conversation.

*back to lurking*

Offline RJLester

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 11:57:02 AM »
I like the idea about lurking; sounds more fun than editing?

Offline mfarraday

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »
I like the idea about lurking; sounds more fun than editing?

touché. indeed!

Sam Cooper

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »
I believe Dave that style cannot be edited like grammar. Style takes time to develop, can't change overnight or at a mere edit, because style effects every wording in your story. If you, for example, decided your main character should be tough, when at the moment he is weak, every action he does needs changing. This is not editing, or at least to me.

Interesting thoughts, and don't get me wrong. I am enjoying this conversation and have learnt something. But we are on two sides of the same fence, each with a firm grip. I disagree, but if it works for you and others in writing, then by all means continue.

I read in another thread, RJ, that every so often you believe there is a long way to go, and yet other times you believe your writing is almost there. That's a good thing. Never believe you have to rush your level of writing. When you rush, you make mistakes that sometimes take years to realign. Self-Progress is seldom seen from a writer's own eyes. It's a bit like saying 'I'm a good writer' It is not up to the writer to say, that's what readers are for. Give yourself time. Believe. Strive.

Anyway I rambled enough on this thread.

Sam