Author Topic: Sticky: The MWC Twitter Account  (Read 10893 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Sticky: The MWC Twitter Account
« on: January 23, 2012, 06:54:07 AM »
Members may like to know that myWritersCircle now has its own Twitter account (as suggested by Lin a few weeks ago - thanks, Lin!). You can follow us at http://twitter.com/myWritersCircle.

The new account will be used to pass on news and information about MWC from me, the moderators, and MWC admin. There may also be the occasional commercial announcement from our sponsors, the electronic publishing house WCCL. Most messages will, however, be purely for information purposes, to help members get the most from MWC and keep up to date with what's going on here.

I don't expect there will be large amounts of traffic on this account - maybe two or three updates a day, typically. We won't be filling your Twitter stream with a lot of fluff. Most updates will consist of information about the forum that we think you'll find interesting and/or useful.

The MWC Twitter account will be used primarily as a broadcast medium and it will not be closely monitored for replies or direct messages. If you have any comments or queries, it is really best to raise them via the forum, or contact me or another moderator directly via PM. You can also, if you wish, follow me on my own Twitter account at http://twitter.com/nickdaws, which I do of course monitor regularly.

I hope you will find the new Twitter service useful and that it will enhance your experience of using the forum. If you have any queries, please feel free to post them below.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Chandara5

Re: Sticky: The MWC Twitter Account
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Great idea. I'm following.
Elizabeth Arroyo
My debut novel, THE SECOND SIGN, will be released February 7, 2013 by Sapphire Star Publishing
www.elizabetharroyo.com
www.chandarawrites.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/EArroyo5

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »
Thanks. The more, the merrier!
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 06:08:22 PM »
Don't want to be "a stick in the mud," but why not just post here on the forum? Personally it takes a lot of time to watch forums, watch twitter, watch Face Book, etc. I understand that this is a popular trend, but not sure it is practical?

Wonder if my opinion is a very minor one ?

LAter, Bill

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »
All opinions are welcome, Bill!

In fact, many of the posts on the MWC Twitter account refer to posts that have been made on the forum anyway. The idea is really to update members on interesting topics they may have missed, particularly if they haven't been on the forum for a day or two. It's really another way for members to stay in touch with the forum, and I hope will encourage members to visit the site more often.

Nick  :)

Offline johnnyh2

• Characters I make from clay
    • Johnny Heath's World
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »
Iím with you wanderer.  Canít see the point.

Now stand back, I'm gonna rant.

If I wasnít so selfish, Iíd worry about the way people flock to these Ö what are they called?  Social websites?  Social networking?  Something like that.  

More and more people are losing connection to the most important and most divine aspect of living.  The ability to tune into themselves - experience whatís inside and just Ė be.  No wonder so many kids havenít a clue how to relate to other human beings without feeling an undercurrent of unease.  Adults too.  Itís scary.  These sites take people further and further away from themselves.  

A while back I kept getting messages from folk on these sites, asking if Iíll be their friend.  Whatís that all about?  I had one from my mate Tara.  I called her and said, ĎBut Iíve been your friend for the last 32 years.  Donít be silly.í

Itís as if folk need a constant distraction.  Theyíre always on their bloody mobile phones too.  Even walking down the street!  Yeah scary.  In the pub last week we counted nine people on their mobile phones, all at the same time.  Chatting and texting or whatever it is they do.  Thankfully my friends know not to use their mobiles when theyíre out with me. Actually, I'm amazed how compliant they are :o :D  A good few times, especially if Iím drunk, Iíve confiscated them.  I won't have it.

Iíve never had a mobile phone, never sent a text, and never done twitter or facebook.  Even when busy flying around the globe, working, I've never needed any of that stuff.  Theyíre like shopping, TV, drink and drugs; slightly addictive and bad for the soul.  Itís all so desperate.  I find it a shame.

Nuff said.

There, finished.  Thank you.

Johnny
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:27:27 PM by johnnyh2 »

Offline bri h

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »
hello johnny, new member Brian here. I never thought I'd ever meet a like-minded soul! I have one slight difference to you. I Have a mobile and I have sent a text, but I believe as in everything, we should have it in moderation! I really can't abide when your'e talking to someone face to face and their mob goes off and they rudely stop talking to you to answer it! Makes me blood boil! They walk down the streets with their mobiles plastered to their ears! I mean what is it thats so important it couldn't wait till they got in their house? Thanks for letting me continue this worthwhile rant! Brian.
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline Will

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 11:17:39 PM »
I think the twitter account is a good idea for those that use that media site.  I don't have a twitter account, but I do have a facebook, so I will add you there.

Offline Sue Hart

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 01:49:57 PM »
I have an active account on Twitter and will enjoy having the notice updates.

Offline Taabari

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 10:14:21 AM »
I can agree with some of the other comments, re. mobile phones, Twitter and Facebook accounts, but I have read that for writers to get published or get feedback from their readers, these are essential tools. My problem with them is all the negative press they get because of 'Trolls' (if that's how you spell it). Anything to help us become published writers can't be all that bad. Again, in response to other comments, I'm only allowing myself about thirty minutes on this forum, at the moment, because people seem to become obsessive never mind addictive. This is the only forum I'm on, it's a time issue, so it's nothing personal.

Offline Rho

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »
I'm following.

I use Twitter for information more than anything else. I follow authors, agents and find have found it helpful.
It's a strange magic

Offline johnnyh2

• Characters I make from clay
    • Johnny Heath's World
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
Well, it's two years since I wrote my reply on this post, and guess what? I've only gone and made myeslf a bloody web site - and I love it! Talk about a learning curve. :D I now feel very modern. (Still no mobile phone though).  

I kept reading how potential agents might ask if you have a web site.

'Yes,' I will say. 'I have.'  ;)

Offline sara

• Sara Thomson Writer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 11:58:40 AM »
Can't believe I didn't know we had a twitter account!

But it's my own fault, I'm just so busy, I don't get as much time as I'd like to come on here and speak to you all. So for me, the twitter account will be a definite plus.

Sara