Author Topic: Does anyone here write songs?  (Read 681 times)

Lin

Does anyone here write songs?
« on: January 18, 2012, 03:28:46 AM »
I don't think I have come across anyone on these forums who boasts they are a songwriter?  Is this a whole different ball game?

Lin x

Offline Vienna

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone here write songs?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 04:08:28 AM »
hi lin

football or cricket my be whole different ball games , songwriting could be a different word game........

but seriously, sometimes I try songs yes.
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline Matt Walker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:49:39 AM »
Yes! Five musicals under my belt!
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Lin

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:29:34 AM »
Perhaps Matt you could enlighten us on what ingredients you need to make a good song.

Lin x

Offline HPvD

• View Profile
    • HP's Happy Writing Blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:45:12 AM »
Yes,  - I definitely have something with Music, and I actually worked in the Music Business for a while some years ago - Music is still is an area of interest of mine,
and I am also somewhat 'Music Making/Producing Inclined' and besides things like Producing Music in several way's,
I also scribbled down some Lyrics once in a while.

Thanks for bringing this up, because I don't find it easy to find suitable way's to position myself as a writer, and I frequently feel like a Writing 'Ugly Duck'
when I read a lot of other writer's that frequently seem to have totally different 'Writing things' they seem to be passionate about than me.

So maybe besides Blogging, and experimenting with all kinds of types of writing, Writing Lyrics
could be something to keep in mind as something that I might be able to use as a way of expressing myself.
It would be nice to discover to somehow be a Swan? :)   

To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Offline Matt Walker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:56:53 AM »
Perhaps Matt you could enlighten us on what ingredients you need to make a good song.

Lin x

Firstly it depends whether you write lyrics first and then put music to the lyrics, or come up with a melody and then fit lyrics to the melody. I usually write the melody first, as I believe it is the tune that makes a song 'good' or memorable, more than the lyrics. I know many composers work the other way.

Writing catchy music isn't too difficult if you have a strong basis in music theory. Songs almost always follow the 'melody and accompaniment' schema. 'Songs are made up of chords' is probably the most important thing I could tell you. There are a number of different chord sequences that sound great. I don't want to get too technical, but a song in the key of C Major (only uses white notes) will sound great with the chords C, G, F, G (chord I, V, IV, V) continually repeated. It is also the basis of improvisation: pick a chord sequence and play random notes in the given scale over the top as a melody.

My favourite chord progressions include I, III, IV, V (C, Em, F, G in C major); I, II, III, IV (C, Dm, Em, F in C major) and I, V, VI, IV (C, G, Am, F in C major). You can hear the last one used here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVnMf2t7w where The Axis of Awesome (a band) demonstrates a load of different pop songs using this chord sequence (I, V, VI, IV).

The most important thing about writing lyrics is getting them to rhyme. In musical theatre, the songs need to tell a story too.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline HPvD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »
Thanks for the link, that's pretty amazing all those songs with those same Chords.
I know a few Chords on Guitar, so that might be interesting to experiment with
although I also have several other instruments that I make 'Noises' with :)

(Btw. in that 'List' I also saw Natalie Imbruglia singing 'Torn', and I do believe that the original is from
a Scandinavian band called Ednaswap, because when I worked in the Music Business I usually got to listen to loads
of (promo) cd's, and I was surprised when I hear ed this (much more 'raw') song from Ednaswap back than.)

I am not sure - when I wrote Lyrics - what came first, the lyrics or the 'tunes' it probably
came somewhat at the same time, although I do think that I probably only wrote some lyrics with only just a
general idea about somewhat of a sound or melody, I don't know it has been a while that I really made any attempts
of writing lyrics.

Getting lyrics to rhyme......, yes that's also something that I sometimes have, some spontaneous (story telling)
'Rap(ture)'-like lyrics, I hardly ever thought about actually writing those down. 

To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Lin

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
I used to write folk songs and a friend of mine who sadly, died recently,  used to put the music to them for me.  But that was all a long time ago.  I think folk songs are easier to write because you are writing about legends and times past and possibly the chords are easy to put together via a guitar.  Not sure.  I just did the words - he did the music.  These days I don't know any musicians any more.

Lin x

Offline HPvD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:15:00 AM »
Recently I had my Keyboard standing horizontal for a while with the idea to be able to directly play on it
any time I would like to, only somehow I hardly ever played on it. It somehow didn't feel comfortable playing at the spot I had it standing
(also I only had a little 'thingy' for it to sit on while playing.) Because of that I had is just standing leaning vertical at the wall for a while.
Now I Repositioned it and placed it at an other spot with also a more comfortable chair to sit on.
So possibly this will help me to get more inclined to play on it :)  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:16:52 AM by HPvD »