Author Topic: My Last Nights Disaster  (Read 9253 times)

Offline heidi52

Re: My Last Nights Disaster
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 07:33:58 AM »
Is everything working good today FF?

Pat yourself on the back for tackling it!

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 07:39:30 AM »
It was all day Heidi but again I checked on my way to the bed chamber and its frozen. I put a towel in the fridge to collect the water and I will pull it out tomorrow and check the back hoses, if there is any that is.  :D :D

Other than that, I may have to borrow Gyp's kettle. >:D
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »
You may need to adjust the fridge.   If you've got it turned up to the max because you were expecting a hot summer it may be running colder than it needs to.  Which could explain why it 's been icing up.  Or it may just be that the outlet is bunged up at the back.  probably a nest of funnel web spiders in there, or something similar which can only happen in Australia.  If the pipe blocks up it will freeze inside.

But it may just be telling you it's had enough and wants to go for a rest at the scrapyard.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:49:59 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 07:49:10 AM »
I did check the guage Gyp and it seemed ok.

I think it was blocked last time this happened and I physically removed something in there. This time I seen nothing, hence wanting to pull it out and check the back.

Can't complain about the fridge though, its about 20 years old now.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 07:51:04 AM »
You may need to poke around with a bit of wire.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 07:54:19 AM »
Yeah mate, Brett is off tomorrow so he can help me move it out a bit to look. Silly thing has no coasters to move it around.

Offline heidi52

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 08:45:13 AM »
Can you get those glidey pad thingies in Oz to put under heavy furniture and such? They are teflon coated and everything slides easy with them.  I have them under my fridge, and I can dance it out by myself.

Why can't appliances last for ever? My mom bought 1 clothes washer and 1 refrigerator and they lasted her entire married life. Now 5 years down the road the things all break and the repairman says. "It's more than 5 years, that's OLD, may not be worth fixing."

It's all a scam...

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 10:06:58 AM »
FF, if I'm reading this right and the outside parts of your fridg is freezing, it may be low on freon-gas because of a slow leak or maybe someone ice-picked into a coil, ect.

I'm not an AC man but overheard several telling the low-gas causes icing.  ???

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 01:22:35 PM »
FF, if I'm reading this right and the outside parts of your fridg is freezing, it may be low on freon-gas because of a slow leak or maybe someone ice-picked into a coil, ect.

That is one of the dangers of kitchen knife and steak mallet defrosting techniques ;-)  Which is  why I advocate the hot water method.  Even a pin prick hole will lose pressure.

On the appliance course we had an old fridge to work on which leaked like a sieve.  A sieve with many very fine holes.  We all took it in turns to use an electronic 'leak sniffer' (a fascinating but of kit) and, having found a leak we brazed in a new section of pipe and re-gassed the thing.  It all tested out okay but an hour or so later the pressure was down and the next person had a go at finding the leak.  Sometimes a student hadn't made a solid repair, but generally it was another undetected leak.

We all accused the tutor of deliberately sabotaging it, as the washing machine man did to create some of the faults he wanted us to learn about.  Tony, the refrigeration tutor, said he didn't need to, but said it was a tutor's dream to find so many natural faults in one machine.  After a few weeks we'd almost rebuilt the thing.  If it had been a customer's machine the 'man hours' expended would have resulted in a four figure bill.  I dread to think how much Freon escaped to weaken the ozone layer ;-(  

Offline Skip Slocum

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »
Yeah-but  ;D Sir Gyp, isn't Freon heavier than air??

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
In that case it's still skulking around the classroom floor ;-)  Unless the cleaner brushed it out into the corridors.

Offline Skip Slocum

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »
I think the industry fed us all that spiel about the ozone so the masses wouldn't buck the more expensive change over to the new gases.

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 03:37:09 PM »
Skip its a frost free fridge mate, I don't have to use my knives to help defrost. The section that it drains into doesn't have any pipes as such, its just the drain area. I only use the knife under the edge of the ice, once I defrost it enough, to lever it up so I can grab it.

The drain is only about three quarters of an inch wide so its hard to wiggle the ice out.

I may have to find a handy man course somewhere too Gyp, don't know if they have them here in Oz.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 06:56:07 PM »
FF, since you said it is frost free, please check underneath, find the right attachment for your vac. that will slide under there and see if cleaning all the dust bunnies as well as the dust they leave behind them from that area. Might as well remove and clean the catch pan while you're at it.

This may not be your problem but it cured one of mine a few years back.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 07:30:03 PM »
Thanks Alice, I will check that out as well mate.  ;)