Author Topic: My Last Nights Disaster  (Read 9267 times)

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
My Last Nights Disaster
« on: January 12, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
I thought I would toddle off to bed early last night, for a change. I had some reading I wanted to catch up on and I hadn't completed a puzzle in a while. I was confident sleep would come.

Hmphh

So I grabbed the sleeping pills after half an hour of mentally decorating my room, the bathroom and I drew the line when I started planning my new car.

I hadn't taken a bottle of water to bed with me so I toddled to the kitchen to grab one out of the fridge, only to find a pool of water at the fridge door.  :o :o

Investigations discovered the drain at the back of the fridge was blocked and the water that should drain away, was now solid ice, making the water overflow.

I had already popped my pill so I thought I best get the job done before I feel to sleep on top of the roast chicken

Off I went to get my hair dryer, extension cord and trusty knife.

I must have looked a sight in my night attire, head in the fridge, rear end poking out and whirring away with the hair dryer.  ::) ::)

After about half an hour, all was defrosted and back to normal working order.

I went to bed and crashed.

The reason for the long winded post is to ask the rest of you what you do when a situation strikes and there is no one around to help?

What are your ways of dealing with lifes little catastrophes?

I have a very girly tool box but hey, its works for me.  :D :D
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: My Last Nights Disaster
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Just avoid going to bed early.  It rarely works.

Coping with life's little catastrophes?  If it has to be tackled there and then, just do it.  No matter what it takes.

If it can wait until morning, sod it!  Many things don't look half as bad in daylight.

Girly toolkit?  I bought my eldest girl a bright  pink hammer with little flowers painted on it.  a)  To stop her borrowing mine,  b)  In the hope her husband would be too embarrassed to 'borrow' it for his toolbox.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:43:35 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »
Gotta do what's got to be done as best you know how. ;)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 06:49:07 PM »
When Dick was working, he traveled a LOT. I spent years at home alone with things breaking and after I took care of it, usually with tears involved, he would call and ask how my day had gone and I would cry and he would say, "I wish I had been home."

Then he started working out of the house and traveling less. He would be around when something broke. All he does when he's home is cuss and swear and stomp around, scaring the dog. I got it fixed easier when I wasn't so encumbered with helpfulness.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline heidi52

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:53:10 PM »

The reason for the long winded post is to ask the rest of you what you do when a situation strikes and there is no one around to help?

What are your ways of dealing with lifes little catastrophes?

I have a very girly tool box but hey, its works for me.  :D :D

I have learned to tackle first, and ask for help only if I find I REALLY need it. It's good for you, gives you a feeling of empowerment and the self satisfaction that when you have to, you can do for yourself.

I have big boy tools.  ;) Once I moved to the farm I exchanged my shoe fetish collecting for tool collecting. Big burly men covet my cordless DeWalt driver and matching circular saw. They don't drool over me like that anymore. >:(

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »
If it needs adjustment-get a little hammer.
If it's broken-get a bigger hammer.

If you're mad and there is no way it's ever going to work again . . . get out the twelve pound double-jack.  ;D

Offline heidi52

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 07:30:37 PM »

If you're mad and there is no way it's ever going to work again . . . get out the twelve pound double-jack.  ;D

Don't know if that would be a good approach to defrosting the refrigerator, but hey- whatever works!  ;D ;D

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »
If it moves and shouldn't move - get duct tape.

If it doesn't move and should move - get WD-40.

----

Duct tape is like The Force, it holds the universe together and it has a dark side.

----

If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway.

----

I think those are all my handy helper hints.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 09:27:34 PM »
 ;D That's like what my sergeant used to tell us.

If its on the ground -police it

If you can't pick it it up-paint it

If you can't paint it- blow it up.  ;D

EDIT: and of course that leads back to number one -pick it up.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:29:31 PM by Skip Slocum »

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 10:24:12 PM »
Ahh, the old, necessity is the Mother of invention comes in to play here too Gyp.  ;D

One year for Xmas, I asked for a cordless screwdriver and a screwdriver set, when I lived alone with my girls.

They are still in use to this day but the kitchen knife and meat mallet are always there if I need them  :D :D

Offline RJLester

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 05:08:08 AM »
I use to be pretty darn good at fixing anything!
Always ended up with spare bits?

These days, I'm not permitted to touch anything!
Just as well.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 05:15:43 AM »
Our frodge is in serious need of defristing, and I think my typing fingers need rewiring.

I'm running down the contents (well, eating them), and soon it will be nearly empty so I can turn it off and shove a large bowl of hot water in there to melt the accumulated ice.  The milk and few remaining items can go and sit in the sidecar outside.  It's cold enough.  A bit like the old zinc meat safe which used to hang through the floor of the caravan.

I've just had an inspired but dodgy idea for defrosting the fridge.  I have an old electric kettle with no lid.  I bet you can see where this is going.  Because there is no lid the shut off doesn't work and it can, if ignored for long enough, boil dry after reducing two pints or more of water into copious clouds of steam.

I also have an extension lead.  Plus good trip switches in the fuse box ;-)

I probably won't do this.  Too much scope for disaster.  But it's a thought.

Gyppo  
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline midnight candle

• just checking in
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 05:16:55 AM »

If you're mad and there is no way it's ever going to work again . . . get out the twelve pound double-jack.  ;D

True. We call it the persuader.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 05:26:49 AM »
Dad told me they had a 56 lb sledgehammer in the engine room of one of his ships.  I was deeply impressed by the thought of someone being able to swing this monster over his head.  But it turns out it had two handles, in a vee shape, and it was used by two men in an underhand swinging action.  Rarely needed, but when you need to 'jar' a seized shaft loose from a overheated bearing in a massive ship's engine it was 'just the ticket'.

The biggest conventional hammer I've ever seen was a 28 lb sledge in a blacksmith's forge, and the old bugger could swing it over his head.  "But I gen'lly prefer the fourteen m'self, Lad.  Tis more controllable."  (I bet it was.)

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 05:34:47 AM »
 :D :D :D

I like the kettle idea Gyp, coulda used that last night

They are big hammers you are talking about, glad times have changed some.